Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Not sure what to do with these items I inherited!

Blog Entries
    I use the the paper bobbins for embroidery

Blog Entries
    The paper spools were bobbins that were used in
    a Sewing Room of a mill for making sheets, etc.

If thread is not rotten, you can use it.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Take up English paper piecing and use the thread on the bobbins to baste your fabric to the paper. It will get torn out and tossed anyway, so it won't matter if it's any good. Just a thought......that would be a way to get some use out of it. I've seen those paper bobbins before, too.....no idea what they were used for.

Quote Originally Posted by mimmy96 View Post
    ok, so I inherited a whole craft/quilting room.. a lot of things are older items... Here are a couple I have questions about.... One is of these little bobbin type things.. they are filled with some sort of thread and the "bobbin" is paper... What is this exactly? ... the other are the iron on's... are these to old to use? After awhile do they need to be thrown away... I would say these are really old, but not to sure! Thanks for your help!
    The small wood spools I think has silk thread on them I used that to hand sew the out side of a zipper on
    a dress I still have some

Blog Entries
    i have a box of the iron on transfers that are from the 40's...back when they cost 5cents...they still work fine and i still use them when i need/want an embroidery pattern. my first redwork quilt was made using them.the paper bobbins are-exactly that- pre-wound bobbins. if the thread is still good (stong, doesnt break easily if you take some in both hands & give it a tug) then they are still fine to use. you can wind them onto your own bobbins, or use them for hand sewing, or even put them on your spool pin & use them on the top of the machine- if you have an old machine they may even fit as bobbins.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Red face Aunt Martha patterns

ok, so I inherited a whole craft/quilting room.. a lot of things are older items... Here are a couple I have questions about.... One is of these little bobbin type things.. they are filled with some sort of thread and the "bobbin" is paper... What is this exactly? ... the other are the iron on's... are these to old to use? After awhile do they need to be thrown away... I would say these are really old, but not to sure! Thanks for your help!
    You can purchase a transfer pencil and trace over the pattern then iron it onto the fabric. It works very well.
    also, I am looking for an old Aunt Martha's pattern of a baby laying on an open rose. If you have this pattern, I would like to purchase it from you. I made my oldest daughter a baby quilt using this pattern and it has gone to shreds now and i would like to make her another one for child...Thank you

I have used the paper bobbins and they work fine. I have not had any trouble with the iron on transfers I have used that were from a friend's mother. They were old but still worked fine.

Blog Entries
    Personally I would not use the thread that's 'as old'...as you say it could be.

IF it came from someone that was close to me that I wanted to remember when I looked at the thread, I'd display it in a pretty glass container.

Our sewing areas can be pretty and decorative too!

Nan - IN
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

The paper bobbins, as mentioned earlier, are prewound bobbins, and they are real timesavers. Is there a size like L or M marked on the bobbins? I have not looked lately, but Superiorthreads.com may still have a chart showing which sewing machines will accept them. If not, then try one out in your machine. If it works, great! If not, they can be rewound onto your bobbins.

Blog Entries
    Good morning M, Inheriting OPS can be both a sentimental and problematic thing to deal with. My mom was a craft hoarder, mostly cross stitching and I literally inherited a room full of her unfinished projects. It took me a few years to deal with it all, a little at a time.

If the bobbin thread is good you can rewind it onto bobbins that fit your machine.

I don't know what the coral colored thread is, looks like pearl cotton, but I can see a funky quilt with this used as a fun folk art hand quilting thread in a large scale style.

I have used very old transfer patterns and they still worked. Get creative with these. They don't need to be used just for embroidery work. Transfer and use a crayon process to color on fabric and quilt it. Enlarge the designs to use as quilt motifs. These little packages are like getting free clip art. They would make great mini quilts. Enjoy them, or pass them along. They don't have much value except to anyone who wants to get creative with them.

As you can see, your simple 'tools' have my creative side going into overdrive.

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I have a bunch of the paper bobbins given to me by my neighbor, she used to work in a men's suit factory. I thought the same thing, that the thread may be dry-rotted, but not so, the thread is thin, but very strong!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Even if the iron on's no longer work, they could be used to trace onto fabric if you so desired.
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

when a favorite aunt died, we took alot of her old notions (button cards with button on it, old snap cards, small sissors, etc..) to the florist and had her make an arrangement for the service. it turned out so pretty...and so appropriate for her service, she was never without pins sticking in her shirt and always had a project going. I now have that arrangement in my sewing room.. when I look at it, it makes me smile..she was such a dear... when I learn how to print a pic here, I will..

You can also rewind the thread on the paper bobbins to your own bobbins if they are good and colors that you use. I would try them on my machine first though.

Some of your small wooden spools(look kind of like bobbins)are top stitching thread, usually silk. I would keep them

Quote Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
    I was a tailor and it looks like silk top stitching thread. You would make the wool suit jacket and then top stitch with silk to make it look professional. Silk is usually very strong. You would not need a lot on a spool just to top stitch so it usually came on the smaller ones. If you find it breaks easily, don't use it. Instead, get an old green canning jar and put all the thread in. Set it on a shelf and enjoy the pretty colors of days-gone-by.
    If it is silk thread it would be great for hand appliqué. The per wound bobbins might work in your sewing machine...check with dealer...if that thread is not silk it might be a pearl cotton used for hand embroidery to go with those iron on designs in your pic

The wooden spools are very collectible , so check them out before you throw them away ..

Blog Entries
    Love the pink thread in back....you can send it to me.

Lynn
    Start the Process
    Don't fail because you
    are afraid to
    Start the Process

Blog Entries
    Well I checked the tread.. And it is all still good.. Does not break easy at all!
    You can always rewind the bobbin thread onto your own bobbins. I do this alot with having two different machines using different bobbins and sometimes I need a thread on the opposite bobbin. I wind thread onto bobbins that I use to applique. Its easier to transport several bobbins of thread than several spools around with you when doing hand work. its very pretty thread
    Judy

sap
    Just send to me, I'll take care of them, seriously, 1) check to see if the thread on the bobbins is strong enough then use them as you would a spool of thread. 2) the transfers are good to go.

I like the mason jars for decoration, as you can't find buy thread on wooden spools anymore. I have a bunch of embroidery patterns that my sister gave me. I never know when I will use them in doing a quilt.

I have a collection of wooden spools from my husbands Grandmother and Mother. Have them in a pickle jar in my studio. Also have transfers from the late 40's that belonged to my Mother. They still transfer. Just remember to use a dry iron.

The red thread and some of the others look thicker than regular thread. If so they would be good for trying some decorative machine bobbin-work. Try hand winding some onto one of your machine's bobbins. Use similar colored regular sewing thread on top. Sew some samples (straight stitch, zigzag, fairly open decorative and utility stitches). You might need to loosen your bobbin tension and stabilize your fabric (heavy starch works well). I used to do a lot of bobbin work on crazy quilt seams, but there are other ways to use this decorative technique. Have fun!

Blog Entries
    Someone offered me 50 cents each for wooden spools one time but I'm sure they are worth more. I remember when mama used to make me necklaces out of them. Boy was I happy.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

thte threads and bobbins would be pretty in jars. the patterns ?? some one that had embroiderys may like them. you can still buy them but not for 29(
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast