Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts.... >

Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts....

Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts....

Old 12-03-2010, 04:05 PM

I would go ahead & give them each their gift - just from you to them - something you want to do just because & not because you are or are not getting a gift from them.

And then...go find a real good white elephant gift..."real good" as in the gag gift that none of them will want to have.

It will be all in fun...and no hurt feelings because they each have a special something from you already!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by mmonohon
I talked to the extended family way before Halloween to get colors, likes/dislikes, and suggestions for all my dh side of the family. I made 28 popcorn snowmen for each, 6 tooth fairy pillows for the grandkids, 12 coffee cozies with their initials embroideried on them for the young adults and 2embroidered pillowcases for the teenagers, embroidered 3 photo albums for dh sisters and a table runner of the inlaws and 6 framed family art for each family. It took me over a month (and lots and lots of hours and money). At Thanksgiving we spoke again about Christmas and my dh informed them of how I had worked so hard to finished all the gifts for everyone.

So today, my sil called and said that everyone has decided that we are NOT going to exchange gifts but instead do a white elephant (exchange junk from the garage or gag gifts). I know Christmas is about giving but I fill like I have been hit in the stomach. I am very sad and feel so unappreciated.

What would you do????
A few years ago my kids decided that they would draw names of just the kids and not do adults. I told them I chose not to participate. I still do gifts for everyone. Some years I sew everyone something, some years I bake each one their favorite goodie. This year is different, but they will each get a gift of something from me, however small.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Give it to them some other time, maybe throughout the year as a surprise.

find a 'junk' gift & enjoy the time with family & don't mention the gifts you have made - that'll keep them guessing. LOL
The good thing is you have birthday gifts all made for the year - lucky you!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:13 PM

I would take the gifts and not worry about conforming to family whims!!!!
This same thing has happened to me (DH sister's idea) I took the presents I had made and handed them out and told receipents that I had hand made it for them special before I knew of the other plans. All but SIL were thankful. She had to make a loud smart remark about hers so I said, "It is really tooo bad you don't want yours because I really did want to keep it for myself." I picked it up and took it back to the car & it left with me. SIL chastised DH & he just laughed and said that I could be a real "witch" sometimes, later he did have to agree that I was provoked.
Please don't let them ruin your Christmas.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:13 PM

I'd tell them it is to late to change their minds as far as I was concerned because mine were all bought and paid for!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
I'd tell them it is to late to change their minds as far as I was concerned because mine were all bought and paid for!
Definately. Just because she/they changed their minds (knowing you had already made something), doesn't mean that you changed yours.
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mimito2
This same thing has happened to me (DH sister's idea) I took the presents I had made and handed them out and told receipents that I had hand made it for them special before I knew of the other plans. All but SIL were thankful. She had to make a loud smart remark about hers so I said, "It is really tooo bad you don't want yours because I really did want to keep it for myself." I picked it up and took it back to the car & it left with me. SIL chastised DH & he just laughed and said that I could be a real "witch" sometimes, later he did have to agree that I was provoked.
I loved your story!!!

Get ready MMONOHON - this sounds like something you can do!!!
I'd give the gifts and tell them you had them made well before the plans changed.

I like playing the exchange a gift game if you're using NEW items - not crap from someone's house they don't want - that's stupid. Why would people want to 'steal' crappy stuff.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Get ready MMONOHON - this sounds like something you can do!!!
I'd give the gifts and tell them you had them made well before the plans changed.

I like playing the exchange a gift game if you're using NEW items - not crap from someone's house they don't want - that's stupid. Why would people want to 'steal' crappy stuff.
Well said :thumbup:
Old 12-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Cyn

Originally Posted by amma
I would go ahead and give the gifts as planned.
Find a white elephant gift and join in on the fun.
Maybe hand them the gifts as you are all leaving, and wish them a heartfelt Merry Christmas. Don't let their inconsideration bother you, or your Christmas spirit :wink: :D:D:D
I agree!