Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
O.K....I have been MIA for a while..but look what I have been playing with!!!! >

O.K....I have been MIA for a while..but look what I have been playing with!!!!

O.K....I have been MIA for a while..but look what I have been playing with!!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:31 AM

I'm sorry to hear what you and John are going through. I will be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers!

I know this is a stupid question, but do you rotary cut the triangles? or do you trace them and then cut them out? My daughters and I are learning to quilt, and so far we've only done projects with strips or square shapes--ones that are somewhat easy to rotary cut. I have learned to buy extra when possible, because it never fails, I always manage to cut something wrong!! LOL!

BTW, I am pretty new to this board but I love it. I enjoy learning from others, and seeing their beautiful creativity!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:47 AM

Oh fantastic! I would never have thought to use a panel! Just awesome!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:08 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by lallyann
I'm sorry to hear what you and John are going through. I will be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers!

I know this is a stupid question, but do you rotary cut the triangles? or do you trace them and then cut them out? My daughters and I are learning to quilt, and so far we've only done projects with strips or square shapes--ones that are somewhat easy to rotary cut. I have learned to buy extra when possible, because it never fails, I always manage to cut something wrong!! LOL!

BTW, I am pretty new to this board but I love it. I enjoy learning from others, and seeing their beautiful creativity!
Thanks for your well wishes, it means such a lot to us both

Very simply, you use six pieces of identical fabric, using a panel means you have no hassle of finding the repeat pattern on the fabric. Next, you cut strips 3 & 3/4" across the width of the whole six layers together, then sub cut at 60 deg angle using the template, each stack of triangles forms each hexagon, every one different!!

Do a google search to see just what you can achieve with the right fabric!!

I joined this board as a novice too and have gained lots of lovely friends and learned so much from everyone too, but life gets in the way sometimes

:-D :(
Old 06-30-2010, 05:35 AM

Light bulb moment for me!! I don't know what I was thinking....you stack six panels together!! LOL! Thanks so much for the clarification!! I am definitely going to put this on my to-do list. I have to compete with my girlies for sewing time, and since they are 9 and 13 years old, I like to help them with the cutting and stuff like that. Everyday I plan to work on my quilts after they go to bed but by that time, I am too pooped to look at a sewing machine!! I do love that my girls enjoy sewing, so I don't really mind. Quilting has become our summertime activity this year. The temperatures here have been extremely hot, although it looks like we are in for a bit of a cool-down for the rest of this week--YEA! So we may get some outdoor time :) Thanks for taking time to explain that to me! I really appreciate it!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:40 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by lallyann
Light bulb moment for me!! I don't know what I was thinking....you stack six panels together!! LOL! Thanks so much for the clarification!! I am definitely going to put this on my to-do list. I have to compete with my girlies for sewing time, and since they are 9 and 13 years old, I like to help them with the cutting and stuff like that. Everyday I plan to work on my quilts after they go to bed but by that time, I am too pooped to look at a sewing machine!! I do love that my girls enjoy sewing, so I don't really mind. Quilting has become our summertime activity this year. The temperatures here have been extremely hot, although it looks like we are in for a bit of a cool-down for the rest of this week--YEA! So we may get some outdoor time :) Thanks for taking time to explain that to me! I really appreciate it!
It's my pleasure to help!! I understand all about trying to quilt in high temperatures, as we have not long returned to live in the U.K., after spending nearly 4 years in Southern Spain, which is where I learnt about patchwork and quilting...here's a link to our group website:-

http://www.vinuelasewandsews.eu/

How sweet that both your daughter's having taken up quilting. I only have son's but my youngest son's girlfriend has caught the bug too, it is so lovely to have someone to share your passion with, Jess is in the process of making her first bargello and has become addicted to fabric too!!!

Good luck !!

:roll: :lol: :D
Old 06-30-2010, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I love it Izywhizy!!! I tried my hand at a OBW border and I just love the technique...I can't wait to clear some UFO's to do more. I hadn't thought about a panel...leave it to you to be so creative!

I like the subtle colors that result from this one..you know you could add blocks around the edges to enlarge it if you want :wink:
Old 06-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by sandpat
I love it Izywhizy!!! I tried my hand at a OBW border and I just love the technique...I can't wait to clear some UFO's to do more. I hadn't thought about a panel...leave it to you to be so creative!

I like the subtle colors that result from this one..you know you could add blocks around the edges to enlarge it if you want :wink:
Thanks Patti....now DON'T go giving me more ideas, I have said to myself only SMALL projects for a while....

:roll: :lol:
Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 AM

What an interesting use of the panel! I like it very much.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Izy
I found this panel.....well actually six of them so you can guess what technique I have been practising can't you???

YES...A ONE BLOCK WONDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:
Izy, I have the same panel in pink, only one though. It will be a quilt for my DGD (4) who said, "Gramma, I NEED a new blanket." Your blocks are stunning. I would have never thought to use a panel.

Thanks for sharing. Very pretty.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:43 AM

Please, I would be happy to learn what "OBW" stands for. There are so many of the acronyms I don't get! Thanks.