Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I needed to think...

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I make almost all of the gifts I give and those that don't appreciate it don't get them. I don't think they would be happy with anything so I'm not wasting my time or efforts.

The office I worked in had a gift exchange and it got so everyone just wanted gift cards. I said forget it. I'm not interested.

I get Visa Cards for the MY kids only because they are so hard to buy for. I do get them a little something else for their stockings.
    For the rest of the family? Nope! MIL will get an apron and the rest will get cards.

I love this thread- you're solving my dilemnas. I told family I wasn't chipping in for gifts for Mom and Dad anymore. Not buying anything. If you buy for dad he puts it in the closet and doesn't wear it, then gives it away. Mom will wear it once and give it away (you don't know how TICKED OFF I was when my sister was wearing a dress I bought my Mom- quite expensive and she looked great in it!)

So, I'm saving my money and not buying anything. I don't have in-laws, they exist- but to them, I don't. I wouldn't buy them coal because that has value. I would put some of the stinkiest poo I could find in a plastic bag and wrap it nicely. After 26 years, they still refuse to acknowledge my existence (just got the kids straightened out that Dad isn't going home to Mom anytime soon- yes, she's still waiting for him).

Aw, family. thank God I have you guys for "sisters."

The only reason why I get for the MIL and FIL is because I am the FAVORITE daughter in law. Ok, Im the ONLY daughter in law. lol
    And, MIL has a quilt I want. It was made by FIL's sisters, all 8 of them (there are 13 kids in the family), along with Grandmother and 2 great aunts. It's signed by all of them and it's just beautiful! MIL already said I could have it. One day she asked me what it was that I wanted in the house. I told her I wanted the quilt. Ok, I want her emerald too...it matches the bracelet and necklace she got me. :)
    So, I stay in the good graces with MIL and the rest of the BIL and SILs, well....they get cards.

I would make a fancy card saying something like "A gift in your honor has been made to <whoever>.

One guy I worked with once was such a whiney-baby, I sent him one saying La Leche League. I found out where they were meeting and brought donuts to go with all that milk. I left a post-it on it with "A gift from " <his name>.

It was worth it, still bringing a smile to my face years later. There are too many ways, that you can combine good intentions and good actions.

Terri,

my favorite "present" for people like your relatives?? Go to the animal rescue site (its linked to the breast cancer site among others, they're all good, any one will do) and send a donation, then send them a card saying the money you would have spent on them went to charity. Sombody that NEEDS your money gets it...and the greedy relatives get to shut up!! But I'd still send an apron to your MIL since she does appreciate your effort!!

Mary

I think they would love them! I espeically like the towel to wipe your hands on.

You've done a great job!

Blog Entries
    Terri,
    I absolutely LOVE your aprons. Thank you for the pattern, BUT...
    You know, a gift from a good friend means SO MUCH :-)

I think your gift for MIL is right on spot, she will love one she wears every day and will love your effort.

I like the idea of giving a gift to charity of your choice in honor of your relatives...beneficial to everyone involved and doesn't have to be expensive...I know that Gideon Bibles will send each person a thank you note but doesn't list the $ given, or American Cancer Society, probably PetFinder or ASPCA or USO...your fun is endless. Habitat for Humanity and Heifer Project International, heck maybe even the Peace Corp!

Have fun with it, maybe send some to places they would hate (like the Democratic Party if they are Republican)- if you want to be evil :twisted:

Moonpi that's a spendid idea, I just love what you did. :)

Blog Entries
    Terri , Tha apron is awesome! I would send one to the mil and the heck with the rest . I am SO glad I no longer have in laws ! Good ridance to the whole clan. :lol:
    Your MIL sounds like a sweetie , though, so spoil her. Don't let a bunch of sticks in the mud ruin your holiday.
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving !
    Sharon

OH Terri!
    I know just what you mean! I married into a strange family. They give everyone in the family gifts at Christmas, but not us because we don't live in the city like they do! Even though we ALWAYS visit over Christmas.

For a few years after I met Paul I gave them gifts and they said thanks and that was it. So last year I didn't bother and one of the sisters asked if we were cutting out gifts Paul looked her straight in the eye and said, "Yep, Lori is retiring this year so we'll have less money."

Her reply? "I'm sure you won't be that poor!"

And these people run businesses and two of them are doctors! They aren't poor at all! I don't give gifts so I can get something back, but I'd sure like to be appreciated a little.

(only two of the six brothers and sisters gave us a wedding gift)

So last year I took the money and bought gifts for some disadvantaged kids in my school and I arranged for friends to give them out anonymously... Now THAT felt good to see one of the little girls after Christmas raving about her Barbie doll that she got!!

Quote Originally Posted by mommaB
    Terri,

my favorite "present" for people like your relatives?? Go to the animal rescue site (its linked to the breast cancer site among others, they're all good, any one will do) and send a donation, then send them a card saying the money you would have spent on them went to charity. Sombody that NEEDS your money gets it...and the greedy relatives get to shut up!! But I'd still send an apron to your MIL since she does appreciate your effort!!

Mary
    WONDERFUL IDEA for thoughtless relatives.......

Awe Terri, don't let it stress you too much. Christmas can be so stressful, and the added pressures about relatives. I think just do whatever makes you feel best. I can't take the stress of Christmas any more, even the stress of putting up a tree and decorating, so i haven't for about 5 years now. Part of it is i just can't do stress any more. Many times the past few years hubby has gone to his Mom's for Christmas dinner by myself, and i am so much happier to just stay home by myself and not have to do anything, but that's just the recluse in me lol. I've just had to learn what is too much for me, and thankfully hubby understands too. Don't let it get you down hon, you'll figure it out.

Personally, I'd send one to your hubby's mom and forget the rest. If they ask why, just tell them. They don't deserve anything. My 2 cents worth. Like the apron.

Well, we came to a decision. I am making one for MIL AND for FIL.
    Yes, FIL is getting one too! It'll match MIL and I think he'll just love it.
    For the rest of them? Nothing...and that's from hubby. He said if they don't like it, then too bad. We aren't going to waste our time, money and effort on them.
    HURRY FOR HUBBY!!! :) :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Good decision Terri- if you are lucky enough to have a MIL who appreciates your work, then concentrate on her and forget the rest. I would send out cards to the rest of the family that said"Due to the economic conditions of our country this year, we are only exchanging cards." Be good to that MIL- you will never be sorry that you did!
    My MIL loves EVERYTHING I make for her, even when we are there and I cook! lol

Good for you Terri! Do you think they will send pics modeling their aprons? I'd love to see them.

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by Barbm
    Good for you Terri! Do you think they will send pics modeling their aprons? I'd love to see them.

Barb
    I hope so!

Very cute.

Thank you for the pattern Terri!

This is a great message board to vent. :)

:) You Welcome :)

Hi Teri:
    Thank you for the apron instructions. I plan to whip up a couple of those for gifts for Christmas. Quick and easy! I love it.

I'm sorry about your unappreciative inlaws. Have a couple myself but Oh! well! I can't change them and don't want to try, I just don't give them gifts I make. One time I gave a gift and wrapped it in a silver Nordstrom box and the comment was "Oh! a good gift...it's from Nordstom's!" Big disappointment when they saw the gift was homemade. Now when we send gifts we always get a phone call asking where we bought the item as it was defective or broken or????

Does anyone out there in cyberspace have the instructions for the square apron pattern. It's made with one big square of fabric with one corner flipped to the frong on top (sqare is on point) with the ties attached to the side corners? They look simple enough that I think I can do it without instructions but wondered if there were any folks out there who have made them and who can tell me the size of the squares. I'd like to make some for my 5 year old grand neice and her mamma. Thank you.

Purplemem: You have a MEANNNNNNNNNNNNN streak! Democratic or Republican party donations is a riot and a great suggestion. Habitat for Humanity or SPCA and all the suggestions are wonderful.

If anyone needs the name of a private animal rescue, I know of one and they are tax deductible and the person would get a card so stating the donation was made in their name but not the amount. My husband and I have volunteered with this group for 7 or 8 years. Donations are always needed. PM me if you want the name and address and/or website address

Teri, Teri, you're missing an opportunity to OPEN YOUR SECRET SANTA gift early...the creepy crawly things inside might be great "regifting" (as the Seinfeld tv show folks did) items. Maybe Shadow Dancer would let you open your SS gift early for THAT reason???? :?: :?: :?: :lol:

Moonpi, I love it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast