Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pre-Christmas Op Shop Find....Happy but a little sad too >

Pre-Christmas Op Shop Find....Happy but a little sad too

Pre-Christmas Op Shop Find....Happy but a little sad too

Old 12-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Power Poster

Default Pre-Christmas Op Shop Find....Happy but a little sad too

Just before Christmas, my mother and I were Op-Shopping (Thrift Store Shopping) at a huge store near my mother's home. I discovered a battered basket at the back of a shelf near all the craft bits and pieces. I couldn't resist unpacking the whole shelf and getting the basket down to see what was inside. I had a quick look and paid the grand sum of $5. Couldn't wait to get home and rummage in earnest! Well, a quilter's dream come true.....a biscuit tin with notions and thread and a file of applique patterns, two quilting books and the start of about 8 potential baby quilts. They are all done in the English Paper Piecing method, beautifully stitched and interestingly all have 1/2 inch seam allowances. From the paperwork used to piece the blocks, and the handwritten notes and neat envelopes of patterns, I surmise this belonged to an elderly lady, a member of a guild, and a traditionalist (I also know her name)....I also guess this quilter is now deceased as her address changed from residential, to a nursing home. I plan on following her patterns and finishing the quilts, which is what I would like if someone were to stumble upon my UFO's. I felt a little sad that her work ended up in a thrift store, but the money goes to a great cause (the Drug Arm charity) and a quilter did find it.....so thought I'd share with my quilting friends. Happy New Year to all....and may this year bring you health, prosperity and happiness.
Attached Thumbnails opshop-find.jpg  
Old 12-31-2011, 11:23 PM

I understand your mixed feelings, but at least the projects have found a good home instead of being thrown away.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:26 PM

What a gem of a find. I agree with your sentiments completely and I feel thankful that you found it and can complete the projects therein. It was almost fate that this happened. The projects look very well pieced. Good luck with it and Happy New Year to you and yours down under.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:47 AM

You found a treasure!
Old 01-01-2012, 03:04 AM

wow what a great find for you.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:47 AM

An awesome find. Never seem to find any treasures like that in our charity shops here!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:13 AM

What a nice surprise. Enjoy finishing the projects. Glad that you can finish what she couldn't. This story makes me want to finish all of my unfinished projects and give them away while I am able. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:23 AM

Beautiful find and I know you will do it justice
Have a Blessed year
Ellen
Old 01-01-2012, 07:52 AM

I am so happy that you found these treasures as you and your friends will honor the lady by finishing her projects. BTW, I have spent some time in Australia--it is a wonderful place. Happy New Years to you and our sister country!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:56 AM

Isn't this a blessing and I'm sure you will make beautiful quilts out of what has already been started. Happy New Year!!!