Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   "Happy Trails" wins a Blue Ribbon!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/%22happy-trails%22-wins-blue-ribbon-t58169.html)

Quiltgranny 08-07-2010 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by mosaicthinking
Well done, you and your husband obviously make a great team and good on you for following his vision in how you made the quilt.

Thanks so much. It wasn't always easy following his vision, as we both have very different ideas at times. But yes, I am very glad that I did. It's been quite rewarding in a variety of ways. :D

NCquilter 08-07-2010 12:44 PM

Congratulations! Your quilt is beautiful! I especially love the label.

RedGarnet222 08-07-2010 01:22 PM

Hi Karla,
Would you consider posting a close up of the boot? I love your boot quilt and is sure seems like hubby had a look in his mind how it should be. That is wonderful he has the talent to not only draw the boot but make the templets. My hubby would not even think to do such a thing! He thinks if you use the reverse on the machine the stitches come back out... LOL!

A big CONGRATUATIONS on your win. Will you be entering it in the other shows?

Quiltgranny 08-07-2010 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
Hi Karla,
Would you consider posting a close up of the boot? I love your boot quilt and is sure seems like hubby had a look in his mind how it should be. That is wonderful he has the talent to not only draw the boot but make the templets. My hubby would not even think to do such a thing! He thinks if you use the reverse on the machine the stitches come back out... LOL!

A big CONGRATUATIONS on your win. Will you be entering it in the other shows?

Hi,

I posted a close up pic of the boot block a few pages back as an afterthought. Hubby certainly did have some very specific ideas in mind, for sure. He used to paint some, so that artistic flair is still there; it just manifests itself in different ways now. :lol:

Sounds like our hubbys have about the same working knowledge of sewing machines. At one particular low point in this adventure, I threw up my arms and told him he could sew the boot pieces together if he was so sure they would produce a boot. He did sit down in front of my ol Bernina 730, and after about 10 nerve wracking minutes of watching him nearly kill my beloved machine, I finally took the project back over.

For one thing, he couldn't understand why the all purpose foot wouldn't sew the piping on very well. He couldn't figure out why he couldn't snuggle right up there against the piping. Thus, I introduced the zipper foot to him. He took one look at that and said, "This is NOT a zipper! It is whatchamacallit. Why do I need a zipper foot if I'm not sewing in a zipper? This, coming from an otherwise very smart and wise man who can operate just about any other piece of machinery he might encounter. :shock: :lol:

Suffice it to say, it was a very LONG and sometimes PAINFUL 4 years on this project. :lol:

nana2 08-07-2010 02:49 PM

The "story" of how this quilt came to be needs to be written down for your children, along with pictures. The next time the two of you are designing a quilt, take pictures along the way. Also, so happy to hear that you used things that you had on hand instead of making a trip to the LQS for special tools!!!! And by the way, DH deserves to share in this ribbon. LOL

Quiltgranny 08-07-2010 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by nana2
The "story" of how this quilt came to be needs to be written down for your children, along with pictures. The next time the two of you are designing a quilt, take pictures along the way. Also, so happy to hear that you used things that you had on hand instead of making a trip to the LQS for special tools!!!! And by the way, DH deserves to share in this ribbon. LOL

Thanks. I've made notes along the way and taken many progress pics, too. I will be documenting the story for an upcoming quilt show next month in our town called "Every Quilt Has a Story". Any yes, hubby is certainly getting his share of the credit, starting with his name on the label. Half the town and friends and family coast to coast know this story quite well, in fact. I've told it at quilt classes, to quilters I meet along the way, etc. It'll probably go down in folklore! :D

Trust me, there are many more details about this story that I didn't print here, lol. :roll: :lol: Let's just say that hubby and I have experienced the gamut of emotions over this quilt in the last four years; both of us at times acting like children, but in the end, we've worked through all the issues and emerged with a much stronger marriage as a result. Hey, maybe I should write a book on how to work together on a quilting project without totally loosing your mind, going bald, hurting each other or filing for divorce! :shock: :roll: :lol: What do you suppose the title for this book ought to be? :lol:

Pineapple Princess 08-07-2010 03:47 PM

Congrats!

Annz 08-07-2010 07:27 PM

Oh Congratulations

annette1952 08-07-2010 07:31 PM

I just love your quilt! Excellant job & congrats on the win!

Calico Grammy 08-07-2010 07:51 PM

What a wonderful feeling to be so honored! Great job!