Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   "Keep It Simple" Tablerunner with new technique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/%22keep-simple%22-tablerunner-new-technique-t20798.html)

sewjoyce 05-31-2009 01:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A couple of weeks ago, someone posted a link to a pattern called, "Keep It Simple -- Make It Special Tablerunner." It was quick and easy to do.

The new technique is in the middle blue block. Yesterday at Bernina Club we had a demonstration of the Chizimi (Shrinking) Thread. I made several rows and used this thread both top and bobbin. It is so neat -- after you sew your designs, place your steam iron on highest setting, and hold over your work. The fabric will shrink up to 30%. The fabric I chose was not the best to use as it's really stiff to start with (even after laundering) -- but it has the neatest texture!

The white/blue fabric used in the binding and triangles is so neat -- it's the Pledge of Allegiance printed over and over...

Keep It Simple Tablerunner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34511[/ATTACH]

Of course my quilt inspector had to try it out!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34690[/ATTACH]

Middle block with shrinking thread
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34692[/ATTACH]

Ethel A 05-31-2009 01:43 PM

Very nice!! As an Air Force family, this table runner would be a HIT in our home!!! I love how the thread shrinks in a wavy fashion. I had never heard of this thread, until now. (Also, we love your quilt inspector. He would get along well with my two quilt inspectors, I'm sure. They could compare notes. LOL!)

tlrnhi 05-31-2009 01:50 PM

Ok, I'm looking at the picture and you said the stuff was on the blue block. Ok, kitty is on the blue block. lol That's the NEW stuff? lmao
That's pretty cool!
Does it make the fabric pucker/wavey too?

**nevermind....read that the fabric shrinks too.
BUT....if the middle square shrunk, doesn't or would that wonky the rest of it?
Maybe I need to get some of this stuff and check it out.

sewjoyce 05-31-2009 02:49 PM

Terri -- I bought some of this shrinking thread and didn't know what I wanted to do. I took some of the red star fabric and some of the blue star fabric and experimented using different stitches on the machine. The red shrunk nicer but I thought the blue was prettier. OK, then I decided to make the tablerunner. I took a piece of the blue star fabric (15"x15") and did all the stitching and then shrunk it with my steam iron. After it dries, the thread is "set" and can be treated like regular fabric. I then cut my block from that fabric. (Clear as mud?)

barnbum 05-31-2009 04:48 PM

What a pretty runner! :D

MollieSue 05-31-2009 04:50 PM

I love it!!! :D I seen the link, but now after seeing your's, I really want to make it!! :D

amma 05-31-2009 06:10 PM

Awesome table runner!!! I have seen that thread demonstrated...would love a go at playing with it too!!! :D :D :D

Adriane 05-31-2009 06:17 PM

Very neat! I'll have to check out some of that thread!

SulaBug 05-31-2009 10:41 PM

Your table runner turned out so nice.
:D :D :D :D

tlrnhi 05-31-2009 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Terri -- I bought some of this shrinking thread and didn't know what I wanted to do. I took some of the red star fabric and some of the blue star fabric and experimented using different stitches on the machine. The red shrunk nicer but I thought the blue was prettier. OK, then I decided to make the tablerunner. I took a piece of the blue star fabric (15"x15") and did all the stitching and then shrunk it with my steam iron. After it dries, the thread is "set" and can be treated like regular fabric. I then cut my block from that fabric. (Clear as mud?)

Ahh....Ok!!
I thought you stitched it AFTER you finished it.