Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   "Rail Fence" w/Law Enforcement Theme (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/%22rail-fence%22-w-law-enforcement-theme-t145254.html)

geckos42 08-14-2011 11:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I want to share photos of my latest quilt. I made a similar lap quilt for my grandson's 6th birthday (previously posted). He wants to be a policemen when he grows up. When I presented it to him, my son (a police officer) suggested making more quilts - for him to take to work. His thinking is that his fellow officers will want one. I told him to act quickly because the fabric is disappearing. Most of it is from the American Heroes collection.

These photos are of the Rail Fence quilt I finished today and hope to sell.

The Rail Fence pattern works great for this law enforcement theme. The black block with the blue stripe represents the "Thin Blue Line" police walk every day (putting their lives at risk). The "Police Line Do Not Cross" stripe (yellow and black) completes another block - without the busy pattern and yellow being too overpowering.

I machine-quilted it, stitching parallel diagonal lines every 2" around the border. All but the pale blue fussy cut blocks were SID. I shadow-quilted the fussy cut blocks and added an "X" to give it more depth/texture. The dimensions are 40" X 52".

There was no handcuff fabric left from my grandson's quilt and I regret not having bought more when I had the chance. It's been discontinued. Sigh . . .

I'm gaining more confidence and improving my skill with each quilt, but haven't yet mustered up the courage for free-motion quilting. I think a few hotpads are in order - if for no other reason than they're good practice projects and not too large to screw up. :wink:

This is my 6th quilt since I learned to quilt in February and am officially a quiltaholic. I can't think of a better addiction!

quilt backing; beige with tiny navy blue stars
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242056[/ATTACH]

The border is a collage of newspaper articles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242057[/ATTACH]

My solution for quilting the fussy cut blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242058[/ATTACH]

Close up of the blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242059[/ATTACH]

blueangel 08-15-2011 12:37 AM

Nice

lisalovesquilting 08-15-2011 12:48 AM

Great job. I'll bet it sells quickly. Quilting certainly is addicting isn't it? :thumbup:

BETTY62 08-15-2011 12:54 AM

How cute.

SueDor 08-15-2011 01:29 AM

Very nice!

Sandy-lou 08-15-2011 01:31 AM

super, what a wonderful quilt

emerald46 08-15-2011 03:03 AM

That is a great quilt!

Dyan 08-15-2011 03:05 AM

Very nice

TexasSunshine 08-15-2011 03:13 AM

That is a great theme quilt.

athenagwis 08-15-2011 03:36 AM

Awesome!! I am sure someone will snatch that right up. :) You are doing great for only being 6 completed quilts in, I think you have a long quilting life ahead of you!!

A good idea for practicing free motion is to make a larger sample that is just two whole pieces of fabric with batting between, free motion it, then cut it up into smaller bits, bind them and donate them to your local animal shelter for crate quilts. The cats don't care what they look like and you get good practice!! :) Plus working with a larger quilt is better for practice as maneuvering the quilt under your needle is a lot of the process, and a small piece like a pot holder doesn't give you that.

Cheers!
Rachel