Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   "Rings of Fire" (Octagon OBW) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/%22rings-fire%22-octagon-obw-t104025.html)

caliquocat 03-01-2011 07:58 PM

It's a real "eye popper". Beautifully done!

luckylindy333 03-01-2011 08:01 PM

That is so pretty- going to have to get that book!!!

Carron 03-01-2011 08:18 PM

Any time you are ready to mail them I will send you MY address. Beautiful quilts.

trisha 03-01-2011 08:20 PM

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUVVVVVVVVVVV IIIIIITTTTTT!!!!!
Yes, yes yes!!!!!

kriscraft99 03-01-2011 08:22 PM

I absolutely love this! It reminds me of looking through a kaleidoscope when I was a child :D

Cuddly Quilter 03-01-2011 09:45 PM

Katrine :shock: the is OUTSTANDING, STUNNING, FANTASIC ......Thanks for sharing. I just love that you showed us the whole quilt, close up and the fabric used. You are a star. I am glad that you tried a different design setup - you do realise that i am going to have to try this one as well. :lol:
Shown a couple of ladies at the office and they all just love it as well.
Cannot wait to see your next creation.
CQ ♥

gaigai 03-01-2011 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by MissQuilter
I love making the blocks, amazed at how they turn out, but think I would like it better if I made them into squares instead of trying to sew lines of half hexagons together without getting them out of order. I have a problem getting them laid out, and then sewn together in the correct order. Both of mine have been hexagons... i love the way some of you are able to blend the colors so beautifully! If I added the triangles to make squares, I would not have to keep the half hexagons in order, right? and it seems it might be easier to keep seams matched??? Help! I have a shoe box full of half hexagons!

The hexs (6) can't be made into squares. The squares are made from Octogons (8). The way to keep them together is to make sure that you chain each threesome in sequence so the halves are attached. Now you need to get that shoe box out and start separating the hexs. You need to make some kind of design wall, even if it is just a piece of batting pinned to a wall. That will hold the hexs in place so you can line them up easily. Good luck.

Katrine 03-01-2011 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by MissQuilter
I love making the blocks, amazed at how they turn out, but think I would like it better if I made them into squares instead of trying to sew lines of half hexagons together without getting them out of order. I have a problem getting them laid out, and then sewn together in the correct order. Both of mine have been hexagons... i love the way some of you are able to blend the colors so beautifully! If I added the triangles to make squares, I would not have to keep the half hexagons in order, right? and it seems it might be easier to keep seams matched??? Help! I have a shoe box full of half hexagons!

Yes, you need to do as Gai has said.
The setting squares are used with octagons only, and they are cut from a separate strip.
Also do you have the One Block Wonder book? There are pictures in the instructions showing how to place and sew the triangles into half hexagons and subsequently into vertical rows.
It really is essential to have a "wall" to pin the pieces on in their different stages, so as not to mix them up.

Katrine 03-01-2011 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by rexie
I don't get why these are called One Block Wonders. No blocks are the same.

But only one identically cut block is used throughout. The difference is in what design feature/colours each cut throws up from the identical triangles which are cut through 8 layers (octagons) or 6 layers (hexagons), and then assembled into identically sized blocks.
Therefore "One Block Wonders".

Katrine 03-01-2011 11:45 PM

Thank you everyone for lovely comments, glad you like it!