Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   10 years in the making... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/10-years-making-t134899.html)

JoanneS 07-03-2011 10:37 AM

Well, since no one has offered any quilting ideas, I'll try! I'm going to assume you're planning to machine quilt, because handquiting a Log Cabin is soooooooooo hard with all those seams! I tried and gave up!

Hmmm - curves - I agree - I like curves when the blocks are full of straight lines. Maybe feathers? It sort of depends on how comfortable you feel with your machine quilting. Long, graceful curves along the dark and light diagonal lines would look nice. You could space them close together like cross-hatching - or leave them as wide apart as your batting recommends.

franie 07-03-2011 10:40 AM

Beautiful! I love scrappy too. Nice job and glad it is almost finished. An overall quilting would be perfect on this one.

Donna Mare 07-03-2011 10:42 AM

Wow and you know what....It was well worth it.. beautiful log cabin !!

dglvr 07-03-2011 10:46 AM

Very nice. I love it. I love boarders. Great job. :thumbup:

Kristin in ME 07-03-2011 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
Love your scrappy log cabin. How wide are those strips?

Thank you! The finished width is 1".

cwessel47 07-03-2011 10:53 AM

Beautiful, beautiful quilt! Love the narrow red border. Your colors are fabulous! My 10+ year quilt is one of my faves too (Ocean Waves on black). Really good things take a really long time. Congrats on getting there. Do you hand or machine quilt? Overlapping circles might be really fun!

Kristin in ME 07-03-2011 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by KarenK
Your block layout is amazing! The longer I looked at your photos, the more I saw. In the first photo, I noticed the alternate light and dark centers of each 4 unit block. In the second photo, the strong light and dark diagonals. Back to the first photo, I then noticed the light and dark stars created as a secondary pattern. The narrow red border really emphasizes the distinction between the center and the scrappy border. The scrappy border finishes off the quilt beautifully. I love your whole design!

Thank you so much!! When we were trying to decide on the block layout, my husband was away on a trip- I ended up laying it out 9 different ways, taking photos, and posting them in an album on facebook for him to choose from. This layout was definitely both of our favorite. We like that it's not so geometric, not such distinct lines between lights and darks, and it really seems to "move". When you look at it, different designs pop out at you. This was one of the last layouts I tried, I'm glad we kept at it! : )

sewmanyideas 07-03-2011 10:58 AM

I saw a pieced border like that recently in a LQS AND LOVED THE IDEA! What a terrific job you have done here:) Give yourself a huge hug!!

GGrammie 07-03-2011 10:59 AM

My personal opinion....It's a beauty.

TerryQuilter 07-03-2011 10:59 AM

:thumbup: :thumbup: