Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   1st Chemo Quilt is finally done. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/1st-chemo-quilt-finally-done-t58777.html)

harrishwhippets 08-10-2010 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by ngabrielle
I absolutely love it. Can you tell me where to find the pattern? I too sew for charity organization. It's for Victoria's Quilts (we make quilts for cancer patients). Many thanks

This did not have much of a pattern, and we did not even have a picture. I just happen to have this jelly roll from wallie world and it had 4 color 2 1/2" strips. I used one of the dark blue for the binding only that gave me 3 colors left and by making 3 different blocks it was easy to come up with this combo. You can use the picture for the pattern. Here are the sizes of the cuts. Whole block size is 6"x10" original pattern calls for 35 blocks. Half block size is 6"x5" need 7.
To make a block : for the center color cut a 2 1/2"x6 1/2"
Outside pcs: 2 - 2 1/2"x10 1/2"
Top and bottom pcs: 2 1/2" square.
Block size will be 6 1/2" x 10 1/2"
for the half blocks I just made more and cut them in half.
Then I sewed all blocks in a row from the top starting with a half block. 2nd row was a whole block at the top and so on.
Every one that made this block was totally different. I saw a lot made with scraps, some were made to look like I spy, it was endless. This pattern happened because the jelly roll had only 4 strips, and the one dark blue I used for the binding.
I hope you can understand this, If you have any more questions let me know. Our quilt quild President brought this pattern in with a 2 block example and the size of the blocks only. She did not say where she got it from.
So good luck to all of you and it will be fun to see how many different versions you all come up with. I pieced this in 2 1/2 hrs. with a jelly roll, went together really fast.

raedar63 08-10-2010 06:24 PM

What a beautiful quilt, and a perfect idea to use a soft snuggly backing. As a nurse I often take care of patients undergoing chemo and radiation,when they become neutropneic due to the treatments they get so cold, this weekend it was in the 90's here and a patient that came into the hospital said she had been sitting outside in a jacket trying to get warm. So I just wanted thank you so much for your very generous gifts. I have seen several patients bring their favorite blankets to the hospital with them. So just know that your gift will be a blessing as well as a comfort to someone going through a rough time.

Rae

Judy in Waco 08-10-2010 06:30 PM

Good job!

cherylynne 08-10-2010 06:42 PM

I love the feel of a flannel quilt. Great job!!

Pineapple Princess 08-10-2010 07:57 PM

Very cool!

Carol W 08-11-2010 01:04 AM

Very nice!!!

littlehud 08-11-2010 09:52 AM

That is so pretty. I love your fabric and you did a great job on the quilting. Thanks for sharing.

mimee4 08-11-2010 12:21 PM

Oh I like this pattern. Nice quilt and a great project - sorta passing it on.

Grama Lehr 08-11-2010 12:26 PM

You did a great job! :thumbup:
I sure hope that you will feel better real soon! ;-)

kristen0112 08-11-2010 12:26 PM

Very nice! Lovely color choices and quilting looks great.