Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   1st Machine Applique - IS IT AWFUL? NO CLUE! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/1st-machine-applique-awful-no-clue-t234038.html)

SueSew 11-07-2013 06:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DebbieG (Post 6391671)
That's what my machine gives me to use and using it I am.....My first piece didn't look the greatest but the more I did the better it looks....I shortened my stitch length and it looks even better!! The alternative is buying another machine and that would take money away from FABRIC!!

How did you know I was trolling for a used Brother embroidery machine cheap? LOL Turns out my Janome won't do a buttonhole stitch unless you put in the buttonhole foot! So I dug out the total-open-toe which is great - tried zigzag and it seemed to create a big stiff 3-dimensional snakey line, more like you'd find around a girl scout patch, so I went back to the double-blanket thing and shortened length and width and I think it looks better. I appreciate your help!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]445398[/ATTACH]

SueSew 11-07-2013 06:13 AM

Can't seem to delete the duplicate picture. This is what the whole 12" finished piece will look like - all I have left to applique is the ribbon!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445401[/ATTACH]

Chatfield 11-07-2013 06:28 AM

Looks awfully good to me!

mjhaess 11-07-2013 08:01 AM

Looks good to me....

SueSew 11-07-2013 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445444[/ATTACH] this is it. Last time it didn't post.

QandE2010 11-07-2013 09:49 AM

It looks great to me! Step away from it for a few days.

MargeD 11-07-2013 11:16 AM

You did just fine with the machine applique, mine doesn't always come out that good. Nice work.

wolph33 11-07-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew (Post 6391745)
How did you know I was trolling for a used Brother embroidery machine cheap? LOL Turns out my Janome won't do a buttonhole stitch unless you put in the buttonhole foot! So I dug out the total-open-toe which is great - tried zigzag and it seemed to create a big stiff 3-dimensional snakey line, more like you'd find around a girl scout patch, so I went back to the double-blanket thing and shortened length and width and I think it looks better. I appreciate your help!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]445398[/ATTACH]

Looks great to me.

ube quilting 11-07-2013 01:52 PM

I think it looks fine. Use your judgement on the size of your stitch. There is no rule to follow but what looks good to your eye.

When I do this stitch I look at the smallest pieces being sewn and adjust my stitch to look good on those. That stitch will also look good on bigger pieces. This does not work the other way around. A larger stitch may not look good on a small piece.

Also decide if you want to use the stitching as texture on the pattern or do you want it to be less noticeable or disappear into the pattern. You make this choice.

I think a standard guesstimate would be to catch at least four or five threads deep in the fabric piece for it to have a good hold, but I'm not sure about that.

I like what you are doing so far. You have a nice curve and neat stitching around the petals.

I am anxious to see the finished project. Oh! There it is, Lovely, very lovely.
peace

ube quilting 11-07-2013 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Grandma (Post 6389154)
Just a hint. I trace around each petal with either chalk or water erasable pen. Then it is much easier to see. Yours look good.

This is a great tip I will make use of! thanks
peace