Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   1st quilt I long armed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/1st-quilt-i-long-armed-t179433.html)

sewbeadit 02-15-2012 01:48 AM

1st quilt I long armed

3 Attachment(s)
This is the first ever long armed quilt I have done. I am proud of it, made me feel good to finally dive in and do it. Was kind of a comedy of errors, but I learned from them all and it came out looking pretty well and I am sure it won't fall apart. The grandson loves it and he didn't care at all if there were mistakes on it. I didn't tell him about them, he was happy.

All the new long armers out there just know that you can do it too. I read and watched youtube and videos and found information where ever I could. Mighty on this board was helpful to me too, thank you Mighty. She got me going.

I did my practice quilt first and put a hole in it and about everything else you could do to it, bad tension, everything. Then when everything started going well I put the soccer quilt on. Made sure the tension was right before putting in the new quilt, then went at it. I found as I was trying to look everywhere and keep things going, I would make a goofed up curve, one time I ran into the front rail and got kind of a straight part where it was supposed to be meandering, so just kept going, all in all it was okay. I got some bunching on one side that I had to take out and the stitches were in really well so took me a couple of days to get that out, redid it and it looked a lot better. Finished up and then did the binding. If you look close you can see where some of my curves went straight, etc. So now I have more to do and look forward to learning more.

I posted a pic of this top before so some may recognize it. I made five tops for the grands for a Christmas gift and hoped to get them done by the end of January. Then I have been sick on and off so it has taken me a while to get the first one done. So hope the next I get done faster than 6 weeks each.lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]312027[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]312028[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]312029[/ATTACH]

fmhall2 02-15-2012 01:54 AM

Great job. Really like the quilt.

SoozeeDoozee 02-15-2012 04:17 AM

Great job, you are off and running.

catladyquilts 02-15-2012 05:45 AM

nice job, the first one is always the scariest but it also gives you confidence to do it again

Sewfine 02-15-2012 05:47 AM

Beautiful quilt and quilting.

MarshaEIEIO 02-15-2012 05:48 AM

This is just too CUTE ! Good job !

ksdot417 02-15-2012 05:51 AM

Looks great. You did good.

Tartan 02-15-2012 06:19 AM

Great job and great quilt! Everyone has to start somewhere and it looks like your off to a good start. If you don't point out your trouble spots, I'm sure no one will even notice.

BluegrassGurl 02-15-2012 06:22 AM

Congratulations! It is a really cute quilt. Thanks for sharing!

mhansen6 02-15-2012 06:41 AM

Wonderful quilting. You grandson will treasure that quilt for years to come.