Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   1st T-shirt quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/1st-t-shirt-quilt-t301785.html)

ellifour 12-25-2018 09:46 PM

1st T-shirt quilt

1 Attachment(s)
My first t-shirt quilt. My daughter's best friend asked if i would make a T-shirt quilt for her son who is off to college this summer. She gave me 40 shirts, most were pre-cut without stabilizer (she thought she could whip a quilt together, she has never used a machine) and a variety of sizes. After stabilizing and triming them and more hours than I care to admit to this is what I came up. She also said she would like a "big" quilt, xxxxx is a big boy 6.4 and a bit over weight. After 2 months this is what I accomplished.[ATTACH=CONFIG]605823[/ATTACH]

Tartan 12-25-2018 10:07 PM

Great T shirt quilt! Everyone who doesn’t quilt, thinks it is easy, until they start a quilt.

JustAbitCrazy 12-25-2018 10:27 PM

Very nice quilt!

I agree with Tartan---Like you, I once had to finish a quilt for a non-quilter who started it when she was laid up with a full leg cast. Only it was worse; she had already hand sewn, with half inch stitches, the T-shirt squares together, without any stabilizer! She wanted me to quilt it! Yikes. I ended up adhering stabilizer squares individually cut to size onto the back of each "square" (they didn't necessarily have ninety degree angles) before longarmming it. I made the stabilizer fit in between the seams. It wasn't easy. After quilting, I ended up with a few tiny tucks in the back, a much better result than I feared. She was very happy, but I'll never take that on again.

BrendaK 12-25-2018 10:50 PM

You did a wonderful job. I have two friends that want me to help them make T-shirt quilts. I am taking a copy of your quilt to show them. Love your layout. Would you let me know which stabilizer you used. Heavy, medium, light? BrendaK

Sandygirl 12-26-2018 02:18 AM

first, what a great layout esp since the shirts had already been been cut out by someone who does not know what they are doing.

Second, I assume that you are close to your daughters' friend. Kudos for wanting to do this quilt esp with the requests on size etc. you did not mention if you asked her for some finanacial assistance to defray some of the costs for supplies. If not, that is a nice gift for the young man.

QuiltnNan 12-26-2018 03:58 AM

great job. and I love the checkerboard patches to add interest.

A1penny 12-26-2018 04:48 AM

You really are a VERY good friend! I can't imagine the time it took to redo that quilt. The result is terrific!

jmoore 12-26-2018 05:39 AM

You are a great friend...that’s a lot of work but I’m sure she appreciates it after having started it on her own. You really did a fantastic job with placement. Nicely done!

Homespun 12-26-2018 05:48 AM

Fantastic job with this!

sewbizgirl 12-26-2018 06:50 AM

Great layout and I love the circle quilting. It’s an awesome T shirt quilt.