Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   2 first's and a 2nd WIP in 2 days (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/2-firsts-2nd-wip-2-days-t107868.html)

pamkasperi 03-15-2011 09:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well for the first time I made my own quilt binding. It is very very obvious that I did not understand how to do the corners...I liked doing the binding so I'm going to have to watch the video 9 more times and practice the corners.

It was the first time I ever used my walking foot - didn't know what it was before last night. Tried it this morning and though hum not much difference - until I realized that my quilt was hanging off the edge of the table and pulling. Once I fixed that - I'm a new convert and wonder how I ever worked without it.

The pictures below are my second finished WIP...since I already did the binding twice I decided to leave it with the messed up corners....its for a man - he probably won't notice ;)

Moving on to WIP #3 so I can go shopping again.....

Front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170176[/ATTACH]

Back - the back is this cool material I found that looks like blue jean material but is cotton.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170177[/ATTACH]

Grama Lehr 03-15-2011 09:33 AM

You have been one busy little woman!! Once you use that walking foot, you will wonder how you got along without it! Great Job!! :thumbup:

LoisN 03-15-2011 09:35 AM

Very nice.

irishrose 03-15-2011 09:57 AM

I still have to get out my old Fons & Porter book and look at the picture to remind myself how do the corners correctly. But it worth it because they look so good. Are you using a glue stick to hold the corners after the first stitching until they are stitched down on the back?

pamkasperi 03-15-2011 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I still have to get out my old Fons & Porter book and look at the picture to remind myself how do the corners correctly. But it worth it because they look so good. Are you using a glue stick to hold the corners after the first stitching until they are stitched down on the back?

I did use a glue stick - found that tip last night too...I can't conceptually understand how to fold it when I get to the corner....I've watched that video a lot and it doesn't make sense. I saw one on Missouri Star and another on U-tube - I'm going to try again after I finish the next back I'm working on.

I'm not very good at looking at something and reading the instructions...I can look at the pictures and try it until I get it right though....

happyscrappy 03-15-2011 06:47 PM

if you can find an eleanor burns book that has the info/pics in it, that is what taught me how to do it. i am a very easily confused person, and her tutorial worked for me!

hperttula123 03-15-2011 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A walking foot is a MUST HAVE!!! :) I love it and use mine alot now. I love your quilt. My daughter has one with the same tie dye fabric.

pamkasperi 03-15-2011 07:34 PM

Heather did you change your profile picture?

That's too funny - I thought that material was just mine!!!