Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   3 scrappy quilts, same design, different color schemes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/3-scrappy-quilts-same-design-different-color-schemes-t196755.html)

justflyingin 08-05-2012 05:53 AM

3 scrappy quilts, same design, different color schemes

3 Attachment(s)
In January, 2011, I began my quest to control scraps. I had bags of them sitting around--a lot of the bags were full of leftover backing trimmings, cotton clothing, etc. I was sick of it, so I spent a lot of time just cutting it all up--mostly strips of 1.5", 2" and 2.5" along with a bunch of squares. However, I enjoy sewing, and so inbetween all the cutting, which can get old at times, I began to do some mindless sewing. I saw someone here make a simple strippy quilt using 1.5" strips and using red as their contrast color.

So, I decided to do something similar. I did a red one, then a black one, then a yellow one. They were easy and fun and used up a lot of 1.5" strips. Wow. I got my 120 liter trash bag over half empty....

But, they were only tops. I've embarked on my quest to actually finish my quilt tops this year--either by tying or learning to FMQ or something else.

I finished the yellow one first by a fancy decorative stitch using white thread on the yellow borders. The red and black ones are FMQ--which for me is a learning curve. In the end, I like them all. I used poly batting and finished the borders this past week during the Olympics.

sewphie 08-05-2012 05:56 AM

Wow, very nice use of your scraps, they are all awesome!

karenpatrick 08-05-2012 05:57 AM

Wow! That's a lot of scraps. Great quilts.

Rylandon3 08-05-2012 05:59 AM

Wow, that was a lot of work...I have tons of scraps, too...thanks for the idea. Love the yellow one best!

lue 08-05-2012 06:02 AM

I'm in awe! What a great use of your scraps! I've undertaken a similar project this summer and I'm making a little headway (got the strips organized by color scheme and began one quilt using the scraps) but nothing like this! They are beautiful!

BarbM32 08-05-2012 06:11 AM

Well I recently finished one to the floor top with over 6000 pieces, squares, and still have a lot cut left over so am thinking about doing a shower curtain and a valance for BR. Who knows anymore left I will try a throwrug.
This week I embarked cutting strips and have set aside pieces for various size squares. I was thinking of combining 9 patch with strips. I really like what you have done and appreciate seeing the finished products.

jtquilts 08-05-2012 06:19 AM

I love your quilts! But, don't you find that the more scraps you use the more they grow! I am finally working on a scrappy string quilt and my DH already wants it! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

erstan947 08-05-2012 06:19 AM

Love them all! Scrappy is my favorite and these are the best!! Good job!

justflyingin 08-05-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by jtquilts (Post 5418974)
I love your quilts! But, don't you find that the more scraps you use the more they grow! I am finally working on a scrappy string quilt and my DH already wants it! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Well, yes, it isn't like I'm down to "no scraps". Sigh. All that happens is that I start making new bags of them--til I get them all cut up and then I'll have another 120 liter (30 gallon) trash bag full of strips again....

GramaLaura 08-05-2012 06:44 AM

Wow you sure had a boat load of scraps!! Lots of work!! Beautiful :)