Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   33-yr-old-quilt- in- the- making (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/33-yr-old-quilt-making-t12498.html)

tarib 10-25-2008 03:10 AM

I really like that quilt idea, the different colors encircling the center, nice idea and pretty colors.

JANW 10-26-2008 06:50 AM

Great scrappy pattern. What pattern and square size?

butterflywing 10-26-2008 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by JANW

hi jan

the pattern has no name as far as i know. i was in the cradle when i began, so i made it up. i thought i would do all 9-patch, but i was too impatient. i call it 'around the world on square'. the total size is 98-1/2 x 97-1/2. round that out to 100 and divide by the number of blocks across to find out the block size, because who remembers? now it's gone and i can't measure it. once you have the large block size, divide by three for the size of the little squares. i.e. if the large square is 12", divide by 3 for the size of the little squares. that would be 4". so 9 4" square would equal 1 12" square. this is without seam allowances. i feel it's a good queen-size. i always shoot for around 95 to 98 square.

the colors were determined by whatever leftovers i had from sewing clothing for me and my kids. that's why some of the colors scream. i actually had to buy very little. i used a sheet on a 50% off sale from jc penny for the backing. after washing it a few times it got very soft. i'm glad i didn't plan it, because it has a real scrappy look.

i hope you finish it faster than i did! lol!

Celeste 10-26-2008 01:25 PM

Oh, so pretty!

Mrs. Mel 10-26-2008 01:39 PM

I love it. It will be treasured for many years to come, I am sure.

JANW 10-26-2008 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing

Originally Posted by JANW

hi jan

the pattern has no name as far as i know. i was in the cradle when i began, so i made it up. i thought i would do all 9-patch, but i was too impatient. i call it 'around the world on square'. the total size is 98-1/2 x 97-1/2. round that out to 100 and divide by the number of blocks across to find out the block size, because who remembers? now it's gone and i can't measure it. once you have the large block size, divide by three for the size of the little squares. i.e. if the large square is 12", divide by 3 for the size of the little squares. that would be 4". so 9 4" square would equal 1 12" square. this is without seam allowances. i feel it's a good queen-size. i always shoot for around 95 to 98 square.

the colors were determined by whatever leftovers i had from sewing clothing for me and my kids. that's why some of the colors scream. i actually had to buy very little. i used a sheet on a 50% off sale from jc penny for the backing. after washing it a few times it got very soft. i'm glad i didn't plan it, because it has a real scrappy look.

i hope you finish it faster than i did! lol!

Thanks so much for the info, I just love the way you made each round a different color. It's truly smashing and I can see many ways to use your design. Thanks for sharing Jan

Lucky Patsy's 10-27-2008 09:35 PM

Very nice! I love how the pattern of quilting in the large squares is repeated but smaller in the solid squares of the nine patches. Great effect!

QuiltinLee 10-28-2008 07:10 AM

Beautiful! Well worth the wait!

Mplsgirl 10-28-2008 07:24 AM

That's a great quilt - I wasn't sure about the colors until I saw it in your distance shot - Wow!!

Nita 10-28-2008 09:03 AM

My opinion? I think it is a wonderful quilt and my guess is that a 7 year old would never have appreciated it as much as a 40 year old would. Better late than never. Worth waiting for. And ...... best of all ...... there is hope for me yet! I am the Queen of UFOs.