Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   4-Patch S&W Posy Asian Fabric w/Alternating Block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/4-patch-s-w-posy-asian-fabric-w-alternating-block-t278775.html)

Quilter 65 05-18-2016 04:18 PM

4-Patch S&W Posy Asian Fabric w/Alternating Block

7 Attachment(s)
I was in a "I am not going to buy any more material to finish this". Now I sort of wish I had. I don't think I could do a 4x4 postage stamp block with the fabric I had left. Nevertheless, I wish I had enough gold or bought more to make the large setting triangles. The original material:[ATTACH=CONFIG]550276[/ATTACH] A lovely floral edged with metallic gold by Red Rooster on the sale rack.

The finished flimsy:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]550277[/ATTACH]
Some shots of the 4-patches:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]550278[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550279[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550280[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550281[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550283[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550280[/ATTACH]I don't know what the technical name for the alternating blocks is called. I decided that an on-point setting would be attractive. The fabric for the alternating blocks is also from the same line, but was glaringly white compared to the other. So whipped out the tea and took care of that. It has quite an intricate pattern but from a distance reads as a dulled white with the coral and blue. I decided that a plain border of the original fabric would dull it down so came up with small nine patches the size of the alternating blocks. That's is when I got into fabric trouble. But I did have enough and the thought of buying more and matching a tea dye was too much so I dug out every scrap and even patched one of the smaller triangles. Although I have made several S&W, this is the first four-patch only. Very simple and so quick. I started this as a sample for classes I was going to teach and had some smaller blocks and different ways to cut so am going to use on back. The stress of the border dimensions and thinking about having to buy more fabric weighed me down, but it IS DONE. Hope you have a great rest of the week and a fabulous weekend.

redquilter 05-18-2016 04:27 PM

Very pretty.

lynnie 05-18-2016 04:48 PM

what a beautiful quilt. i love it set on point. so pretty. You did a fantastic job on this one.

Jane Quilter 05-18-2016 04:59 PM

Very pretty.

quiltsRfun 05-18-2016 05:31 PM

Beautiful! So glad you showed us the original fabric.

Tartan 05-18-2016 05:35 PM

​Lovely quilt and fabric!

QM 05-18-2016 06:44 PM

You did a fine job on this. Your quilt demonstrates that S&W can be lovely and restful, not at all like the "frogs in a blender" my mentor taught.

sewbizgirl 05-18-2016 07:11 PM

What a beautiful quilt! It's so much more special because of the amazing log-cabins-on-point setting. Wow, that was genius!

Thank you for showing it. It's inspiring.

Jan in VA 05-18-2016 10:38 PM

I am so glad you showed us some closeups, too; it's a wonderfully designed quilt. You did a great job!

BrendaK 05-18-2016 11:17 PM

Stunning. BrendaK