Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   5 yard quilt - easy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/5-yard-quilt-easy-t201344.html)

JanTx 09-23-2012 03:23 PM

5 yard quilt - easy

3 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to give each young bride from our small church a throw-sized quilt when she marries. Also trying to use what I have on hand - and I have plenty on hand!

Fabric: from a 5-yard bundle - Marcus Fabrics: Barnes of Bonnie Blue on most of them, Greystone on one

Pattern: free with the bundle - uses 5 yards down to almost the last inch. Five Yard Quilts by Rebecca Boline (four twin size quilt patterns for five yards of fabric) Four of the yards were used in the 4-patch and 4-rail blocks. The fifth yard made the border - some of that was left over, but very little of the other ones.

Backing:108" backing I had on hand for a project that didn't get made - Windham Fabrics Whistler Studios #32678
Quilting: hearts in the 4 patch blocks, meander in the rails.

All I had heard was that the bride was going to have some red in her kitchen and that the bathroom towels were a blue that was more grey. At the shower today I was happy to see how close to her color choices my fabrics turned out to be. The bride-to-be and her fellow sing together in a country band so "Harmony" seemed a fitting quilt name. I thought the fabrics quite boring when I started working with them and thought I might need to applique something on it - but I decided they worked well in harmoney with each other by the time I was through.

The NEXT bride (May wedding) was there and her mother mentioned - quite nicely - that her daughter's favorite fabric choice was leopard. Leopard? Really? Any ideas on that one??? Unless I just went black, brown, and white/cream I don't have anything like that on hand.

ArtsyOne 09-23-2012 03:29 PM

It really has a nice antiquey (is that a word?) feel to it!

Dal Lady 09-23-2012 03:34 PM

Very pretty and so nice of you to do this for the brides in your church. Using your stash is the best plan (a bride's favorite print -- leopard may not last). If you feel the need buy a 1/8 yard of a leopard print and applique a leopard on it with the label or incorporate leopard in the label.

sandyms 09-23-2012 03:35 PM

Very nice!!! As for the leopard print, I agree with you. Use what you have unless you want to go and buy some leopard print fabric.

QUILTNMO 09-23-2012 03:37 PM

what a nice idea very pretty!!!!

cindy4857 09-23-2012 03:38 PM

Oh I love this quilt. It looks civil warish to me. Very classic charm and feel. Excellent job. Hmmm you do them for aniversary's too? Lol (hint hint). Your fabric choice was wonderful.

kathdavis 09-23-2012 03:38 PM

Love the colors. Also that is my wedding anniversary too. What a nice gesture to give every bride a quilt.

casachavez 09-23-2012 03:39 PM

Very nice, and the colors do harmonize beautifully. Wow, I'm impressed that all the fabrics came from your stash and yet melded so well. I agree with Dal Lady's suggestion.

QuiltnNan 09-23-2012 03:43 PM

very nicely done!! love the label

JanTx 09-23-2012 03:44 PM

A dear lady who just passed away at age 98 used to embroider cup towels for all our brides - one for each day of the week. She also made simple quilts for our grads. My kids who graduated in '98 and '00 got quilts and my daughter got the towels when she married in 2002. She became unable to keep this up a few years ago so I started trying to step into her shoes. I don't do embroidery - unless it's to embellish a bit on a quilt - so quilts for the grads and right now quilts for the brides who got missed in the years when no one was doing the grad quilts. Don't think I'll make one for brides who also got a grad quilt. Have to figure out something else that can be a "tradition".

I like the idea of a touch of leopard to remind her of her "early style" days. I had someone offer to marry again if she could have a quilt. LOL.