Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   54-40 or fight color combo, need help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/54-40-fight-color-combo-need-help-t188390.html)

pollyjvan9 05-08-2012 11:01 AM

54-40 or fight color combo, need help

2 Attachment(s)
I just can't seem to make up my mind regarding the color placement of the 4 patch in this block. Which do you like, or would you go with a completely different color in one of the four patches. I am thinking maybe the floral is what is wrong. I used the floral because that is the border fabric and thought it would look good in the body of the quilt. I have all these strips cut and can't decide how to put them all together!

sassy granny 05-08-2012 11:07 AM

I think I like the last one better. The third one is pretty too but I think the color contrast is betterin the last one. They all are very pretty, just a matter of opinion.

sassy granny

MaryMo 05-08-2012 11:07 AM

I like the second set. It is a little difficult to make a decision with the busy background (polka dots, checks, etc) unless they are part of the quilt. In the second set, the dark floral sets off the other colors whereas in the first it is competing with the other dark print. This should be an interesting quilt - I look forward to seeing the end result.

bearisgray 05-08-2012 11:12 AM

How about one more combination?

The dark brown, the tan, and the off-white?

My feeling/opinion about the blocks:

Upper left - I think the floral print would be awesome as a wide border to pull together the colors (maybe) used in the blocks. I don't care for it in the four patches. It seems to 'smear' the edges.

Upper right - If the whole quilt was going to be in those subdued tones, it seems quiet and elegant. If it's going to be with more blocks with more contrast, it will look washed out.

Bottom left - I like this one the best of the four - the points really stand out in this one

Bottom right - same thing as top left - I don't care for the print in this block

I think this is sort of a tricky block to get to come out exactly right.

(You did ask for comments - )

pollyjvan9 05-08-2012 11:20 AM

Thanks, and yes, I did ask for opinions and really appreciate your comments.

Also, sorry about the background. I always have several things on the wall and forget to take them down for photos.

I need two blocks for this quilt. It was featured on Fons and Porter a couple of weeks ago here in OKC. Had a LOT of trouble locating the pattern and now I can't seem to get off the fence about the fabrics. Maybe I need to set it aside for a while and work on something else.

burchquilts 05-08-2012 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by MaryMo (Post 5202565)
I like the second set. It is a little difficult to make a decision with the busy background (polka dots, checks, etc) unless they are part of the quilt. In the second set, the dark floral sets off the other colors whereas in the first it is competing with the other dark print. This should be an interesting quilt - I look forward to seeing the end result.

I agree. Plus I agree that this is going to be beautiful when it's done. I saw it on Fons & Porter a while back & LOVED it. Please post again either a WIP or the finished product!

MoanaWahine 05-08-2012 11:33 AM

If these are the only fabrics you are using, I would go with the second set. The first set, the black blends together to much and you loose the design of the block. I think the large print fabric would make a wonderful boarder to pull everything together as stated above. I like the contrast in the second set of blocks but the one with the large print is off a little. I think if you could find a smaller print but still in the dark color it would work much better. I am inclined to lean to another black color, but then I always lean to black on everything. Try picking out a darker color from the large print fabric and see how that would work in the 4 patch and leave the large print for the boarder. Just a thought. Good luck in your choices.

QuiltNama 05-08-2012 01:25 PM

Second set, very pretty colors

jojosnana 05-08-2012 01:27 PM

Second set!

pls1946 05-08-2012 02:14 PM

I love this block and most of your fabrics, but IMHO the darkest color, small print should go.