Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   AAAARRRRGH, ok slight hiccup (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/aaaarrrrgh-ok-slight-hiccup-t23087.html)

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 07-22-2009 07:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, as much as I hate to have two threads about the same quilt, I've run into a bit of a problem. My original plan was to finish off this quilt with a 5" light beige border all the way around, HOWEVER, I though I had enough fabric but I don't. The fabric is old stock, on sale, and the other close matches are just not quite the right colour. The only one I have enough fabric for is the dark brown with leaf print on it. I'm just not sure it will look good :( I'm so dissapointed...
Tell me if it would be totally ugly with the dark brown, or maybe give me some other ideas. The quilt as it is doesn't have quite enough overhang for my bed, my mattresses are pretty high.

collettakay 07-22-2009 07:45 AM

Would you have enough of the light to do a small inside border and then finish it off with the dark brown. I think the dark would look good if its broken up a little from the piano key border.

gaigai 07-22-2009 07:48 AM

Melanie, fold the dark brown fabric and line it up on the side of the quilt as if it were the next border and then look at it. Leave it there for a while. It doesn't look TO ME like it would go together, but cameras and monitors are bad about reproducing colors correctly.

the only other suggestion I have to to go fabric shopping! :D

Roben 07-22-2009 07:48 AM

I actually like the way the dark brown would mirror the narrow border - but I'd probably replace the brown corners with the light beige.

reneebobby 07-22-2009 07:57 AM

It looks like it would work maybe post a pic with it next to the piano key board (close up that is) and one far away so we can get a good visual.

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 07-22-2009 08:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
K, here goes.

I have a 1.5 meters of the dark brown, and a bit more than 3/4 of a meter of the light beige in the photo, HOWEVER, that beige is not the same as in the rest of the quilt, and I'm afraid it will look silly. Unless I make a really narrow border, like 1". I agree about the corner blocks, I have a medium brown that I have just enough to change the corner blocks.

b.zang 07-22-2009 08:27 AM

If it was me, I would try a narrow border of the brown the same as the one on the other side of the piano keys to frame them. Then I would use something light as the outer border.

Your beige narrow border and dark outer looks good.

Boston1954 07-22-2009 08:32 AM

Is there enough to make a smaller than 5" border? I have had the same problem in the past. Get the thing all done and then not enough of something to do what you want.

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 07-22-2009 08:37 AM

Ok, I just finished measuring and calcutating the possibilities in my fabric, and if I make a 1" light border around the piano keys, hoping it doesn't show too much that it's a different fabric, I have just enough of the dark brown to make a 3.5" border. It's still less that I wanted, but my only other option is to go and buy more of that brown. The store is only 3 minutes away, and I get an employee discound, but I REALLY don't feel like going back there, plus I just went and spent 25 bucks there yesterday. I think I might just suck it up, and leave it at 3.5" border.
I'll buy a brown fitted sheet to cover my box spring, so it matches my bed frame.

sewjoyce 07-22-2009 08:38 AM

What about using the red in the quilt as the very outside border???