Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Agave Garden Going over the top with quilting sneak peek (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/agave-garden-going-over-top-quilting-sneak-peek-t269398.html)

feline fanatic 08-30-2015 08:14 AM

Agave Garden Going over the top with quilting sneak peek

4 Attachment(s)
Several weeks ago I loaded this on the rack.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529240[/ATTACH]
This is one of my own quilts. The pattern is Agave Garden by Judy Niemeyer but as with 90% of the patterns I do, I modified it. I eliminated the applique bits and enlarged the border considerably as I wanted a big canvas for some over the top quilting. It took me a really long time to come up with quilting designs for this. I gained inspiration for the border motif by googling Mexican tiles and got that floral design. I added the melon shapes to represent corn as the ultimate recipient makes the best tamales I have ever eaten.

I marked out the entire design and you can see my marks for quilting yet to come but I couldn't wait to share a sneak peek of this.
First everything got ditched with Fil Tec Essence a super fine monofiliment like Superior's Monopoly. Then I rolled the quilt back and did all the blue thread.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529241[/ATTACH]
Next came yellow and here I am working from the bottom up.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529242[/ATTACH]

Then red and I am currently working on orange
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529243[/ATTACH]

This is by far my most ambitious quilt I have ever attempted. Using high contrast thread on black shows every wobble and goof but so far I am very pleased with the results. I still have 4 more colors to go, two shades of purple, black and finally a variegated that has all the colors of the quilt in it.

My brother asked me to make a quilt that has a very Mexican feel to it for some very close friends of his who used to live in the US but have moved back to Mexico. I think I will enter this in a few shows before turning it over to him.

Ann912 08-30-2015 08:18 AM

All I can say is Wow!

hildie 08-30-2015 08:19 AM

Wow! Can't wait to see it finished.

huntannette 08-30-2015 08:23 AM

Wow!!!!!!!!

Monale 08-30-2015 08:29 AM

Wow seems the only appropriate response to this! ;) This is going to be one stunning quilt!

sweet 08-30-2015 08:32 AM

Love your FMQ designs and your quilt is awesome!

susie-susie-susie 08-30-2015 08:35 AM

Beautiful quilt and quilting. You should be very proud of your work. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Sue

PaperPrincess 08-30-2015 08:38 AM

I cannot wait to see it finished. I agree with your idea of entering it into shows, it's a show stopper!!!!

thimblebug6000 08-30-2015 09:02 AM

Fantastic work! Hope you have some shares in the thread companies :D

kathy 08-30-2015 09:54 AM

OMG, I wish I lived close so I could stand around and gawk while you quilt, I don't have an artistic gene in my body, I have to struggle and usually copy everything I do. I realize I will never be "there" but I'm so inspired by you with every quilt you show.. BTW, what are you marking with? It appears to mark easily and thinly.