Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   All this talk about Featherweights (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/all-talk-about-featherweights-t48909.html)

cwessel47 06-08-2010 06:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I just had to share these pictures of my baby. It's a 221. Born 1936 in Elizabeth NJ. It was my grandmother's machine and I am the lucky lady who gets to use it. I have other machines. This is the one I use. Please excuse the mess - I AM a quilter. Also - I know I'm a bad girl - but you'll see that I have added masking tape strips for various seam allowances. The way I look at it is - I'm using this machine - not trying to sell it!

The real deal
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81643[/ATTACH]

The instruction book! Alleluia!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81644[/ATTACH]

All the attachments - that I rarely use.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81647[/ATTACH]

craftybear 06-08-2010 06:05 PM

wow awesome thanks for sharing your Featherweight with us, do you know the age of it???

no1jan 06-08-2010 06:08 PM

I just bought a Featherweight over the weekend. They are wonderful to sew on. One hint, Painter's tape comes off a lot easier than regular masking tape and doesn't pull of the finish, also the blue is easy to see.

I have already started making a quilt on mine. I have the book and accessories but no case. Mine is called Priscilla, what did you name yours? She is beautiful!

Mine doesn't bounce around, but I never thought of putting the rubber shelf paper down. Great idea.

Thanks for sharing!

roseOfsharon 06-08-2010 06:10 PM

She is very sweet, I have one (actually two) overbid on ebay! Yours is quite old for sure. Mine is a 53' and 55'. I am going to name one Mitzi, after my first cat who passed away long time back and the other I am still contemplating on. :)

cwessel47 06-08-2010 06:17 PM

[quote=no1jan]I just bought a Featherweight over the weekend. They are wonderful to sew on. One hint, Painter's tape comes off a lot easier than regular masking tape and doesn't pull of the finish, also the blue is easy to see.

I have already started making a quilt on mine. I have the book and accessories but no case. Mine is called Priscilla, what did you name yours? She is beautiful!

Mine doesn't bounce around, but I never thought of putting the rubber shelf paper down. Great idea.

Judie 06-08-2010 06:26 PM

Years ago my Mom brought me a Featherweight.. I was very happy to recieve it, and thanked her for it of course.. But I had no idea what I had until maybe 10 years ago. I got it out one time to take with me on a business trip. I thought it would work out well since it was a small machine.. Not only did it sew beautifully, but I found these wonderful little machines are in high demand. My mom passed away before I fully understood what she'd given me.. One day I'll pass this on to my daughter, and we'll both be thanking my Mom for years I'm sure. Now I have 3 of them.. but I only use the one regularily. It's my favorite. I need a name.. something as old as she is.

cwessel47 06-08-2010 06:42 PM

No name -she's just my baby. I've had her for nearly 40 years and can't imagine my life without her. I do (sort of) regular maintenance and there is hardly ever a problem. Last year she did have to go to the doctor's though. The paper insulation in the motor had finally given out and I was being subjected to shock therapy that hadn't been prescribed - yet! I am blessed to have a vintage sewing machine repair/sales guy among my list of close friends. New motor was the answer. And we're going strong again.

lalaland 06-08-2010 06:55 PM

My favorite vendor has a Featherweight in his shop for sale, looks to be in pretty good condition too. He always services his used machines so I'm sure it works good too.

I always have a piece of masking tape handy to mark seam lines. I teach all my kids to do the same. I really stink at that straight seam thing.

amma 06-08-2010 06:55 PM

WOW!!! What a great heirloom!!! It must be wonderful to sew on your grandmothers machine :D:D:D

dkabasketlady 06-08-2010 07:00 PM

What a beauty!! Let us know what you name her! Lucky you!