Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Always trying to learn through new techniques (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/always-trying-learn-through-new-techniques-t278568.html)

EmiliasNana 05-12-2016 05:44 AM

Always trying to learn through new techniques

4 Attachment(s)
I'll bet a lot of you are like me and try to grow with each project. Here are three of my latest:
This was a flag banner project in a monthly sewing class I attend with about 30 others. It is a loosely formed group, a spin-off from a national guild that went rogue and now meet monthly, with one member volunteering to give a class on something.........each month. Since I have never done a bargello, I thought this would be the perfect small project to start with. Since it was small, approx. 23" x 28", I decided to quilt-as-you-go, as I assembled the quilt and sewed the vertical strips together. I will gift it to a dear GS friend of mine who is hosting us the end of June as my DH and I head to join 10 other family members in Yellowstone.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]549846[/ATTACH]
The next project was also a project from the group mentioned above. I had so much fun learning this origami technique I couldn't stop. On our driving trip to New Orleans in March, I took a 30's charm pack and made the entire charm pack into miniature bow-tie blocks. Then I paired them with solid blocks and made a wall hanging for our guest room. This would make a darling baby quilt for a little girl, as it measures 35" x 35" with the additional 3" border.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]549847[/ATTACH]
And a close-up of the blocks which are 3 D.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]549848[/ATTACH]
Lastly is the cutest pin cushion I found to make for a fellow quilter's birthday in the latest issue of Quilts and More, Summer 2016. I had never done dresden plates and the last time we were together this same friend showed me a new applique technique from a class she took with Karen Buckley. The plate was appliqued with invisible polyester thread, using a super fine needle, and using the blind hem stitch on your DSM. I used a stitch length of .5 and a stitch width of 1.25 on my Bernina. My apologies to Karen if I didn't meet her standards, but it gives the appearance of needle turned applique on the machine. You can also see why I don't hand quilt LOL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]549852[/ATTACH]
I just happened to have some of the twill tape left that I ordered from Hatched and Patched in AU in 2011, but I believe the magazine offers a kit with it included.

Have fun with your new projects!

tessagin 05-12-2016 05:48 AM

at first glance I thought the "flag" was a pintuck. Looks great and nice way to start a bargello. Love the others also.

Melanie Rudy 05-12-2016 05:48 AM

Great projects. I especially like what you did with the bargello flag.

ManiacQuilter2 05-12-2016 05:56 AM

Your selected great fabric for the Bargello flag. Love the Dresden plate pincushion.

QM 05-12-2016 06:19 AM

You have really been on a great roll!

QuiltnNan 05-12-2016 06:39 AM

all nicely done... love the flag and the pincushion

lynnie 05-12-2016 07:20 AM

wonderful work, love the dresden plate.

feline fanatic 05-12-2016 08:08 AM

every single one of these projects is delightful! I am having a hard time deciding which I like best. Definitely intrigued by that 3D bowtie and love the pincushion!!

Annz 05-12-2016 08:20 AM

These were all quite interesting

Jane Quilter 05-12-2016 08:27 AM

when you go rogue, you go ROGUE! wonderful projects. How about a tutorial on the origami bow ties? I'll watch and learn.