Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Alzheimer Quilt For "Ma" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/alzheimer-quilt-ma-t278040.html)

Ps 150 04-24-2016 03:44 PM

Alzheimer Quilt For "Ma"

2 Attachment(s)
I did not have an ideal childhood. I escaped from my home as often as I could. I often escaped to one of two friend's houses. Their mothers were more of a mother to me than my own was. But as I grew up, I lost contact over the years with both my friends and their mothers. I often saw them here and there, and on social media, but it wasn't the same. One of my friend's mothers did not join social media, though, so I didn't hear as much from her. Then someone told me in passing that she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I immediately called her, but her husband answered. When I asked to speak with her, he hesitated. He asked who I was and what I was calling about. I reminded him who I was and told him the tragic news I had heard. He confirmed that the diagnosis was true, but that it was nine years late. She's been suffering for nine years with this crippling disease. My heart broke. It had really been that long since I had reached out to her. The guilt is incredible. Her husband said that she's just shell of herself and probably has less than a year left. I offered to make her a fidget quilt, but he says that she's far passed that. Now she just drags blankets around in confusion. That's when I decided to make this. It's just like the scripture quilts that my church makes for cancer patients, but I used "Faith, Hope & Love" fabric for the rail fence sections and the in the middle blocks I wrote various, encouraging scripture verses. Not so much for her, but for her kids, grandkids, husband and mother. Thanks for looking.

NJ Quilter 04-24-2016 04:09 PM

It's a beautiful quilt. Give it to the intended recipient with the love intended and then let it go. I have recently been dealing with lots of family loss and some really horrible memories. Let this serve as a 'catharthis' (sp) for you and know that you have done what you can.
'

carolina quilter 04-24-2016 04:29 PM

What a wonderful gift. The patient may not understand, but the quilt will have special meaning for the family.

marilynr 04-24-2016 04:49 PM

That is beautiful. Give it with your heart.

Cybrarian 04-24-2016 05:00 PM

We have all been in your shoes in one way or another with friends from our pasts. You have been incredibly proactive, and your beautiful quilt will definitely fulfill your hopes of comfort for her family. As a daughter who lost my Mom to this devastating disease there is no way to know how much of the comforting words on the quilt may penetrate and minister to her, but it will be more than she will be able to articulate. Your efforts will be a blessing, trust & take comfort in that.

QUILTNMO 04-24-2016 05:31 PM

oh how nice its a beautiful quilt!!!

Merrylin 04-24-2016 05:43 PM

It's a beautiful quilt! And it's such a heartfelt thing for you to do.

redquilter 04-24-2016 05:49 PM

It's lovely and a kind and loving thing that you've done.

QM 04-24-2016 05:50 PM

An excellent idea. As our population ages, I suspect more and more of us will find ourselves in the position you or her family are in. A quilt may help. A while ago I ran into to son of a very dear mentor. We talked for quite a while. He thanked me for the insights into his mother's life. She was disabled shortly after his birth, so he never saw the hugely dynamic, outgoing and socially important person I knew. Your gift may help the family focus on the earlier, very positive parts of her life.

Diane007 04-24-2016 07:27 PM

wow, what a nice story (and sad )
your quilt is great :)