Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Am I being to sensitive?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/am-i-being-sensitive-t137779.html)

stitchntimesewing 07-15-2011 07:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I was invited to my daughters sister in-laws daughters baby shower and went. This is a family that we spend every thanksgiving with and see several times a year at other events. Needless to say I made a baby quilt for the coming baby boy. Their theme of monkeys and jungle was made known to me after I had already started the 9 patch blue blocks. Not a problem. I improvised and used monkeys on the boarders and baby jungle on the back. Here is what made me feel sad. Her husband was there and held it up and she said here is another blanket and sat back down in the box. A couple of gifts shown later and it was a fleece tied blanket with jungle theme. They oohed and aahed and her mother came over and took several pictures. This went on for several minutes. Now I didn't want adoration for the quilt but to have had more of an even aceptance would have been nice. It made me feel like they didn't like it. Well I feel better that I vented. Here is a couple of pics of the quilt. Oh by the way I also made a matching traveling changing pad and bought a jungle babies mobile that totally matched the animals.

pjaco 07-15-2011 07:09 AM

They will appreciate it later when they receive all the compliments! This is very pretty. I know how you feel, I feel that way too sometimes. It's beautiful.

Charlee 07-15-2011 07:10 AM

No...I don't think you're being too sensitive! It's a darling quilt, and you did a wonderful job on it!

Maybe they think it was store bought as opposed to handmade? I'm less impressed with store bought items than I am with those that I know someone has taken the time to make for me...

sparkys_mom 07-15-2011 07:10 AM

If they didn't like it that's their problem. It is gorgeous and I think the way you incorporated their theme was excellent.

thimblebug6000 07-15-2011 07:10 AM

It's really cute, and I'm sure will give lots of cuddles & warmth to their little one. Please don't be offended, people don't always react their best when opening gifts in a group.

sweet 07-15-2011 07:15 AM

What an adorable quilt! They will learn to appreciate it. :)

Rose L 07-15-2011 07:22 AM

Oh geez, what is it with people and bad manners?? Just try to focus on the great job you did and the clever save you accomplished by adding the theme to the quilt after you'd already started on it. It's an adorable quilt!

Kathios 07-15-2011 07:22 AM

Your quilt is lovely and you should be very proud. I receive hundreds of quilts, afghans and fleece blankets for my Linus chapter. When I bring them to the local facilities, the fleece blankets always get the most attention. I think it is the "feel" of the fleece, or the bulky nature....I often mention that the quilts are worth well over a hundred dollars each, and the fleece are often kits, but unless you are a crafter, it is hard to get them to understand the priceless nature of the quilts.

Veronica 07-15-2011 07:22 AM

I think what is hurting you the most is the fact that they didn't acknowledge all the hard work you put into it. Your quilt is beautiful and you did a wonderful job quilting it. I'm sending you a {{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}.

Charming 07-15-2011 07:22 AM

First of all the quilt is just adorable.
Second i am sorry they didn't appreciate it. It happend to me once. I made a quilt for a baby of a relative and when i was talking to the mom and asked if she liked it, all i heard was my daughter threw it on the floor and sat on it....thank you for the work you put in it would have been nicer...but guess what now that after a while she looked at it and got to know i am selling them, she is going to pay for one(FULL PRICE). I am happy now.
I have learned a lesson not to make a quilt as a gift unless i know they will 100% appreciate it....QUILTING IS NOT CHEAP.