Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Another half hex field if diamonds quilt finished, (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/another-half-hex-field-if-diamonds-quilt-finished-t188553.html)

QM 05-09-2012 07:51 PM

Another half hex field if diamonds quilt finished,

1 Attachment(s)
This is one of the ones we promised to the rehab hospital where DH went after his stroke. We gave one yesterday. I have 2 more flimsies partly pinned. We promised 5 total in the next couple of months.

This one I started as a technique and pattern demo for my guild's retreat in early April

Grandma Peg 05-09-2012 08:30 PM

Very pretty. So nice of you to make the quilts.

sharon b 05-09-2012 08:32 PM

That is a neat pattern ! How generous of you to make them for the center :)

mighty 05-09-2012 08:38 PM

So pretty!!!

QM 05-09-2012 09:46 PM

Thank you.

When DH was in the rehab hospital, he observed that many other patients were really resistant to the therapies, although the therapists were very upbeat and good to work with. His idea was quilts to use as levers to get people in motion.

DH understood from the start that getting his skills back after a significant stroke would take a great deal of work on his part. He commented that, "If I leave the gym today NOT dripping with sweat and exhausted, WE will have failed." He was highly motivated. A great many people are not. We agreed that this is one thing we can do in our little corner of the world to make things better, one person at a time.

gsbuffalo 05-10-2012 02:44 AM

love the pattern

Jammin' Jane 05-16-2012 10:43 AM

QM, God bless you for doing this. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I pray your husband's hard work pays off and he continues to be motivated in his recuperation! Your quilt looks so calming. It is beautiful! :)

QM 05-21-2012 10:05 AM

This is a pattern that is much easier/faster than it looks, being made from half hexagons. DH is greatly improved. His walk still has a great deal of stagger to it and his left arm and hand are not cooperating very well yet, but he is WAY beyond where the PT folks thought he would be at this time. He has been cleared for driving!

In case you were not already aware, RAPID diagnosis, good attitude and hard work are the keys to good post-stroke results, all the medical folks tell us.

lollygagging 05-21-2012 10:58 AM

I like the idea of using the half-hex and I like your layout. I'd be interested in seeing an entire quilt done like that. Thanks for your inspiration and for sharing.

QM 05-28-2012 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a plan for a bed sized quilt using this technique. again, both Field of Diamonds and this star are traditional uses of hexagonal blocks. What is not traditional is making the units larger than usual and as half hexes. One of my many UFOs is a more traditional field of diamonds quilt.