Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Antique Miniature Salesman Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/antique-miniature-salesman-sewing-machine-t63976.html)

twinkie 09-10-2010 04:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I know it is not real pretty now, but I just wanted to show you a "neat" miniature sewing machine by Foley and Williams Mfg Company, Illinois. It was made in the late 1880's to early 1910's. It was called the "Automatic" and was turned by hand with the wheel on the right. Salesman in travelling buggies used to take these to the farm houses to show women how a sewing machine works. We will eventually get it restored and then show you the picture of it. I am including a picture of a "like new" one. It measures approximately 8" long x 8" high. We have two other "salesman" machines that I will show pictures of soon. Hope you appreciate the potential.

The one that we have
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114724[/ATTACH]

One that is "Like New"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114725[/ATTACH]

CarrieAnne 09-10-2010 04:43 AM

Thats really neat looking!

clem55 09-10-2010 06:13 AM

thanks for sharing that! I love seeing the tiny machines.

JJs 09-10-2010 06:19 AM

Can you imagine the excitement women felt to see such a thing?
Can you imagine how tedious and time consuming doing ALL the family sewing by hand - clothes, linens, bedding, anything fabric - no Walmart nearby... (on top of family, cooking, cleaning, gardening, etc)
And a husband that bought one for his wife! whoooeeee mama!
And then the housewife over at t'other farm didn't get one, and she was jeaaaaaaaaaaaaalous, so she made fun of it, and claimed in a self-rightous voice, that "quilting with a machine wasn't really quilting"......
And that same argument is going around yet today..

Mariposa 09-10-2010 06:27 AM

Wow! Cute machine! Love seeing the little ones! How'd you find it?

Grama Lehr 09-10-2010 06:33 AM

They are soooooooooooo cool! Love it!

kathy 09-10-2010 06:36 AM

JJ, I can hear it! I can imagine trying to crank it and keep my fabric lined up, but I'll bet it was exciting.

LaurieE 09-10-2010 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
I can imagine trying to crank it and keep my fabric lined up

Actually it's not as bad as you think. Keep in mind that it will only sew as fast as you can crank.

Lynneander 09-10-2010 06:57 AM

That is really amazing! Where did you find it?

SherriB 09-10-2010 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by JJs
Can you imagine the excitement women felt to see such a thing?
Can you imagine how tedious and time consuming doing ALL the family sewing by hand - clothes, linens, bedding, anything fabric - no Walmart nearby... (on top of family, cooking, cleaning, gardening, etc)
And a husband that bought one for his wife! whoooeeee mama!
And then the housewife over at t'other farm didn't get one, and she was jeaaaaaaaaaaaaalous, so she made fun of it, and claimed in a self-rightous voice, that "quilting with a machine wasn't really quilting"......
And that same argument is going around yet today..

I could just picture that in my mind!! LOL! :mrgreen: