Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Antique Sewing Machines and Thrifty finds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/antique-sewing-machines-thrifty-finds-t38678.html)

amazon 03-05-2010 10:02 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Haven't posted in a while, but , I've been keeping up behind the scene when i get a chance. Have been a busy beaver since christmas, working on my DD's b'day quilt, a baby quilt , and helping my MIL with two of her quilt tops, and last but not least a corduroy quilt.Whew, now back to the subject, I picked these up at my local thrift/compassion store, I paid $15 for the Household brand. The R.R. Co. Inc. rebuilt singer she gave me, and the wallhanging patterns a quarter each, The 1940 travel iron at anther thrift store for $3.The Household machine was fixed for $35,sews a beautiful stitch and the feed dogs drop and came wtih the magnetic seam guide( I love it as much as the machine).Repairman said the older machine would cost too much to fix( maybe later) so I might use it for decoration or a doorstop. I used the Household to machine quilt DD's b'day quilt, it sews like a dream.On the corduroy quilt, I had priced it at Hobby and Hancock , its was $10-12 a yard, too steep for my blood, then it hit me, use all of those mens corduroy pant suits i had seen at the thrift store, she had a New Year's 75% off sale, some I got for 65 cents. When I get the top pieced I'll post pics.I just love thrft stores and yard sales. That time of year is just around the corner. Thanks for letting me share!Sorry I prattled on so long!

littlehud 03-05-2010 10:18 AM

Wow, what great finds. You have been busy.

Aunt Doggie 03-05-2010 10:22 AM

That Household machine is GREAT looking! How Retro!
I especialy love the "PUSH" button!! :lol: :lol:
Congrats on your finds!!!

Wish I had your luck at finding these items!! You are like the lady on this site that paid $5 for about a 1/2 ton of fabric!!!

Lostn51 03-05-2010 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by amazon
Repairman said the older machine would cost too much to fix( maybe later) so I might use it for decoration or a doorstop.

He is full of it.......You can fix that one yourself for less that the price of the other machine repair. The older machine is one you need to take care of and preserve. Not many companies were rebuilding Singers and to have one that is labeled and is nicely decaled as yours is a hard to come by find!!

What is the serial number of the machine (its on the boss in front of the pillar) It looks like a 66 but I can make sure for you.

The Household is a nice machine! The Japanese had it going on during that era with styling cues from the US automotive scene. Some of the machines had as much chrome as the '58 Chevrolet Impalas and some really cool two tone paints! And I really like the seam guide and iron!

You did very well in your Thrift Store scores now you have me wanting to hit them today!!

Billy

quiltsRfun 03-05-2010 10:28 AM

I have that same iron set up next to my sewing machine. Works great for pressing seams.

Lisa T 03-05-2010 10:34 AM

Oh, that aqua colored machine is SO CUTE!! I am jealous!

I made my cousin a red, tan and blue corduroy quilt out of thrift store pants when she got married 8 years ago. She was actually talking about it this weekend to me, saying that they LOVE it and it has held up beautifully. A guest at their house wanted to steal it recently! I want to make one for us, too, but all the thrift stores around here charge a couple dollars for a pair of pants. So I am going to watch at rummage sales this summer.

Barbm 03-05-2010 10:44 AM

And to think I was going to "gift" 2 pairs of cords I have in my closet to the Goodwill.

Love the machines!!!!

MaryStoaks 03-05-2010 12:08 PM

Wonderful finds. Keep up the good search!

beachlady 03-05-2010 03:18 PM

What great finds! Never heard of either machine.

oldswimmer 03-05-2010 03:30 PM

Can I come live with you?????