Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Any ideas on how to quilt this (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/any-ideas-how-quilt-t20943.html)

Lacelady 06-08-2009 03:53 AM

Automatic tension? That's all very well, but how does your machine know that you want to FMQ? There must be a way to adjust it somewhere, isn't there? Another thought ocurred to me...how old is your thread? I tried to use an older thread recently, and ended up thowing it out, as it kept breaking. I also agree with trying out various makes, my Bernina definitely works well with Guterman, and Sulky cotton and rayon, so I tend to stick to them mostly.

Bevanger 06-08-2009 04:08 AM

sorry kiddo, i always tie my quilts, but sure do love your quilt :D

DA Mayer 06-08-2009 04:45 AM

I found that my machines will use almost any thread in the bobbin but not in thte top. Are you putting the presser foot down each time? If you use a metallic thread use the special needle that goes with that, does your Husk machine call for sharp needles, I know those work best in mine. Just a few thoughts.

kapatt 06-08-2009 06:40 AM

Your grandson is going to love it! I'm not great at picking designs for quilting so I would probably stitch in the ditch on this quilt or use a large stippling design.

I'm glad that someone mentioned changing to an embroidery needle or a titanium needle. They do the best job with free motion. What size of a needle are you using?

Jeannie 06-09-2009 12:43 PM

A beauty. I would hit the ditch!

jacquemoe 06-09-2009 01:49 PM

How about stitching 1/4 inch in on each piece. I bet that will be easier than stitching in the ditch (sid).

billswife99 06-09-2009 02:03 PM

I love this quilt! It has so much personality without fancy stitching. I think in the ditch would compliment it perfectly!

Lisa T 06-09-2009 02:04 PM

I love this quilt. No suggestions on the quilting as I am terrible at that part. But the stars and stripes are great together. This is a very charming quilt!

And you have a very charming grandson too. LOL at his story!

gcathie 06-09-2009 02:12 PM

I would do just a meander quilting.....or a loop tee doo....or stitch in the ditch....Very pretty quilt....:-)....

as far as the theread breaking ...try several things....100 % cotton ......the needle....14/90......try heavyier thread....40 to 30 wt........loosen the tension.....try on a sample and see what you get....good luck.....:-)

peel 06-09-2009 02:50 PM

hi gladgrams,
I agree with PrettyKitty, breaking thread is either tension and/or moving hands to quickly. Unfortunately, I don't know much about machines that adjust tension. can you override that. Or can you call store where you bought it and ask them for some hints.
If you don't want to free motion, I think I would accent the pinwheels part of it, outling that part, and let strips receed a bit.
I love quilt, you're grandson will love it. And I love his story about you living at the airport.

peel