Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Any Quilts of Valor quilters out there?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/any-quilts-valor-quilters-out-there-t68683.html)

Melanie 10-06-2010 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been making them for three plus years . Would love to connect to other QOV quilters

Sallyjane 10-06-2010 10:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I love your license plate! Quilts of Valor and Piecer too.

I've made one QOV through our local Quilt Guild. I also made a wall hanging to be auctioned off for asurvivior's scholarship fund for Air Force EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal) annual fund raiser. Most recently I made a memory quilt for the daughter of my son's bubby who was killed in Afghanistan.

I'll see if I can attach pictures

Jordan with her memory quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89615[/ATTACH]

Memory quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89723[/ATTACH]

Wall hanging for auction (that is the EOD symbol)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114370[/ATTACH]

Melanie 10-06-2010 10:45 AM

thanks for your reply, I have had a lot of fun making QOV's and donating them locally. The machine quilter friend of mine and myself get to present them, I also take them to the Chaplin at the Iowa City Medical Center and last time he allowed me to present them to two of the patients. Awesome

nwm50 10-06-2010 04:54 PM

Jan in Va does "for our soldiers" quilt tops...she collects them and then have people to do the batting/backing and then there are the longarm who helps quilts them and she send them off to afghanstin.

dgmoby 10-07-2010 05:54 AM

What a cute license plate! I love it!

I don't piece for them, but I do do the longarming for our local group 'Thank You Quilters'. They're a wonderful bunch of ladies.

This group was started when we found out our largest base wasn't getting ANY quilts from ANY ONE! One local lady decided that wasn't right! She started one little local group, which has grown to participants all over TX, and many individual groups, and now they provide all the quilts for Ft. Hood. The soldiers love it.

This group only began about 3 years or so, and has sewn hundreds of quilts - all with donations! Fabulous! And kudo's to these women (some of whom are members of this board) and their donators!

Debbie in Austin

rosemaynes 10-07-2010 06:39 AM

My Mom has a little group of ladies that all get together every month and we make a QOV. There is about 5-7 of us and we get out about 2 quilts a year. My brother is in the National Guard and so we give them to a wounded soldier in the Guard here in AZ. Thank you for doing all of your quilts to support our troops.

LindaG 10-07-2010 06:43 AM

I quilted my first for them this summer. It's very rewarding to be able to donate quilting services for this cause!

Melanie 10-07-2010 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by dgmoby
What a cute license plate! I love it!

I don't piece for them, but I do do the longarming for our local group 'Thank You Quilters'. They're a wonderful bunch of ladies.

This group was started when we found out our largest base wasn't getting ANY quilts from ANY ONE! One local lady decided that wasn't right! She started one little local group, which has grown to participants all over TX, and many individual groups, and now they provide all the quilts for Ft. Hood. The soldiers love it.

This group only began about 3 years or so, and has sewn hundreds of quilts - all with donations! Fabulous! And kudo's to these women (some of whom are members of this board) and their donators!

Debbie in Austin

Thank you, thats wonderful to hear about, am proud of you all

Melanie 10-07-2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by rosemaynes
My Mom has a little group of ladies that all get together every month and we make a QOV. There is about 5-7 of us and we get out about 2 quilts a year. My brother is in the National Guard and so we give them to a wounded soldier in the Guard here in AZ. Thank you for doing all of your quilts to support our troops.

I love it that so many out there are working on QOV's. I'm getting my quilt guild to sew autograph blocks next month, hopefully will get enough to piece together another quilt, its fun, you can't get enough of it. Should I admit to having 9 boxes of patriotic fabric? Well, I do, and use it with pride.

HLFrye 05-08-2012 04:10 PM

Sallyjane, I think I have you on my Pinterest :) anyhow would you share the way you made your "crab"?