Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Applique baby quilt finished finally!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/applique-baby-quilt-finished-finally-t213508.html)

DogHouseMom 02-10-2013 03:50 PM

Applique baby quilt finished finally!!

8 Attachment(s)
Been working on this one since June. No pattern ... just design as I go. I first pieced the quilt out of tie dye flannel. I then drew the animals onto golden threads paper, placed the homespun down on the quilt top and put the golden threads paper over it, then stitched around my drawing with a very small stitch. I then cut about 1/2" around the edge and frayed the homespun. Some bunnies have insets for ears or eye patches in a batik which was needle turn applique. The butterfly is needle turn. The big flower and the pussy willow are done like the bunnies with homespuns. Buttons for eyes. The pussy willow stems ... not sure what the fabric is called but it's sheer and shiny - I rolled it then stitched it down. Big flower has a big rick-rack stem. Most items then have wool thread blanket or stem stitched around the edges and for arms, legs - etc. New mommy got a kitty while I was working on the quilt so I had to add a kitty chasing one of the bunnies around the corner. The frog ... well little boys need frogs don't they??

Quilted with a twin needle SITD on all seams.

Minkee backing which I just pulled to the front and folded over for binding. No batting ... this quilt is heavy enough.

This was my first time doing applique of any kind, my first time using minkee, and my first time quilting the way I did. Because I used a twin needle the quilting on the back looks like a serged edge but in the minkee it really doesn't look bad.

Size about 45" square.

Little Joshua (grandson) is now 5 months old and hopefully will enjoy crawling around the floor on this one!!

Thanks for looking.

DogHouseMom 02-10-2013 03:58 PM

Forgot to mention ... thanks everyone who helped me early on when I was trying to decide what fabrics to use to make the bunnies. Big thanks to QuiltE who suffered many "in progress" photo's and my constant complaining that I was not done with it yet.

Diane007 02-10-2013 04:09 PM

very cute quilt

malindaann 02-10-2013 04:10 PM

Adorable! Thank you for sharing

serenitybygrace 02-10-2013 04:20 PM

Darling quilt. I love the bunnies, kitty and flowers.

QuiltnNan 02-10-2013 05:21 PM

nicely done... so playful

mighty 02-10-2013 05:41 PM

Sew cute, wonderful work!!!

Chris Anders 02-10-2013 05:57 PM

:thumbup:That is adorable! Great job !

Tartan 02-10-2013 06:08 PM

Really cute and cozy!

QuiltE 02-10-2013 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5852520)
Forgot to mention ... thanks everyone who helped me early on when I was trying to decide what fabrics to use to make the bunnies. Big thanks to QuiltE who suffered many "in progress" photo's and my constant complaining that I was not done with it yet.

It's been a pleasure and honour to be part of the journey and to have all the sneak peaks of the WIP!

It's ever SO adorable and with all that flannelette and minkee, it can't help but be snuggly!
I picture it providing so much entertainment for your Grandson. And that he will tell many a story while playing with all those well thought bunnies, kitties, etc. in action around the edges.

What a GREAT Granny you are!!! :)

I sure hope that you are personally delivering it! :D