Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Asian fabrics and Baptist fan quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/asian-fabrics-baptist-fan-quilting-t277748.html)

Daffy Daphne 04-15-2016 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by loisf (Post 7524014)
Wow! I am so impressed with your quilt, especially the quilting. It's lovely. I have pieced an Asian quilt that I love, but I haven't had the courage to start quilting it yet. A meander didn't seem right, nor did straight-line quilting. Your choice of the Baptist Fan pattern is spot-on, and now I know that I will use that pattern too, but the thought of it is so daunting. I have a Tiara sit-down, which is identical to the Sweet 16, I'm told. I've read up on the half-circle ruler set, but some users say it's really hard to use with a sit-down machine. I've read that there is a better ruler set than the HandiQuilter set, but no one seems to know the brand name. I guess I'll keep looking for a while. Thanks for posting your beautiful project. You have inspired me.

loisf I read somewhere, maybe on an HQ forum, that it was difficult to quilt Baptist Fan with the half circle templates because there just isn't enough ruler to hold onto. I used the HQ complete circle templates with my Tiara to quilt Singing River Stars, posted on 4/3/16, and could understand what that person, and CanoePam, meant. With the complete circles, there is a lot of area to apply skateboard grip or whatever underneath, and plenty of template to hold onto and walk your fingers. The complete circle set is pricey but I was lucky enough to find it at a discount and have used it a lot. It's great for quilting Orange Peels, undulating lines, etc.

CanoePam, your red quilt is lovely!

Daffy

CanoePam 04-15-2016 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne (Post 7524119)
loisf I used the HQ complete circle templates with my Tiara to quilt Singing River Stars, posted on 4/3/16, and could understand what that person, and CanoePam, meant. With the complete circles, there is a lot of area to apply skateboard grip or whatever underneath, and plenty of template to hold onto and walk your fingers. The complete circle set is pricey but I was lucky enough to find it at a discount and have used it a lot. It's great for quilting Orange Peels, undulating lines, etc

Daffy: Thanks for the information on full circle rulers. It absolutely makes sense. I had already planned on asking for a set for my birthday, and I will wait to do another Baptist fan until then. I didn't see the solid circles on the HQ site, but they are available from other manufacturers.

QuiltnNan 04-15-2016 03:27 PM

very nicely done

Sewbeeit2 04-16-2016 02:56 AM

Love this fan on so many.
Beautifull finish!

nwm50 04-16-2016 03:23 AM

Glad you zoom in on this gorgeous quilt so we could better see the elegant quilting job you did on it!

WisWis 04-16-2016 04:27 AM

Very well done. Love the movement in the quilt.

quilterpurpledog 04-16-2016 04:43 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. The Baptist Fan motif is a wonderful finish for your great quilt-good combination.

mirish2 04-16-2016 05:40 AM

Great combo of fabrics and quilting design.

MargeD 04-16-2016 10:22 AM

What luscious Asian fabric, and I think your Baptist fans are great. Now if I can only get my DSIL and DD to pick up some Asian and Batik fabrics when they travel, I would be a happy camper, but I'm not holding my breath.

muskratwine 04-16-2016 11:50 AM

I have a Baby Lock Tiara which is the same as your HQ sit down. I have problems using rulers with the regular foot - it is too thin and can easily slide under the ruler. I have contacted BabyLock and of course they say the foot can be used with rulers and I say no it cannot!! I'm hoping HandiQuilter will come out with a ruler for their Sweet Sixteen sit down and then BabyLock will follow. How do you manage using rulers? I really like ruler work but after my ruler slid under the foot and the needle smacked down on the ruler, I'm a little afraid to try again!!!