Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Asking for opinions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/asking-opinions-t69933.html)

AnneT 10-13-2010 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I decided to leave my 5"-square-comfort zone. Its about time to challenge myself. Hopefully I can swallow this bite.

This block I made today as a test block. The pattern is from one of my fav. books, "Quilts from the Heart II" by Karin Renaud. The pattern calls for scraps in blue and lavender, mixed with cream. My quilt will be lavender, pink and a bit of burgandy. As I'm waiting for my order with the cream kona cotton, I replaced the cream fabric by white with a small lavender and pink pattern. What do you think, does this make it too busy? Instead of different coloured squares in the center, I used just one batik fabric to try to calm it down a little.
Your honest opinions please! Too busy or do you like it the way it is?

bearisgray 10-13-2010 09:10 AM

It's pretty.

I'm trying to visualize/imagine the secondary patterns that will emerge when you put the blocks together.

I'm thinking that perhaps the blocks might be easier to lay out if you alternated the colors in the corners so they would be on opposite corners instead of "on the same side" - that it would be easier to lay out - one could get a "diagonal" pattern going then

PurpleBecca 10-13-2010 09:10 AM

I like it a lot!! Very nice!

The only question I have is - from 5in squares to a complex block like this - seems a bit of a leap - although this one looks fine and you seem well able for it!!!

Keep going!

amma 10-13-2010 09:14 AM

You did a great job on this block, and glad to see you taking a leap :D:D:D

I don't think it is too busy, and it was a great idea to use the batik :D Can't wait to see the quilt!

All bigger blocks are just smaller blocks all put together :wink:

hobo2000 10-13-2010 09:17 AM

The burgandy blocks upper left and top bother me. If you did the 2 hst's top & bottom burgandy, when sewn to the next block would form a hourglass block. As they are they seem out of place. The rest of the square is very nice and welldone. JMHO

Lilrain 10-13-2010 09:22 AM

I love your color choices, and you did a fantastic job

Jim's Gem 10-13-2010 09:23 AM

Beautiful block!

quiltinggirl 10-13-2010 09:26 AM

I think you did a great job with this. The colors go well together. :)

AnneT 10-13-2010 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
I like it a lot!! Very nice!

The only question I have is - from 5in squares to a complex block like this - seems a bit of a leap - although this one looks fine and you seem well able for it!!!

Keep going!

Becca, thank you for your nice comment!
Don't worry, the instructions in the book are for "dummies", so I managed at least this block, although it took me like forever (=one day)incl. some ripping. The other good thing is the size of this block, it's a finished size of 16". I plan on sewing 12 of these blocks and adding a nice scrappy border.

AnneT 10-13-2010 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
The burgandy blocks upper left and top bother me. If you did the 2 hst's top & bottom burgandy, when sewn to the next block would form a hourglass block. As they are they seem out of place. The rest of the square is very nice and welldone. JMHO

Tony Marie, this seems to be a very good idea to make all of the flying geese in burgandy. Thanks bunches!
Maybe the burgandy blocks appear bothering b/c of the bad light?! The solid burgandy is exactly one of the colours in the center batik squares. Anyway, I like your recommendation enough to rip out the flying geese and replace them.
Again thank you!