Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Attempting the Twister (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/attempting-twister-t91263.html)

PJisChaos 01-17-2011 03:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok so ya'll have inspired me to really go outside my box with these Twister quilts. A week ago I bought 100 4" squares on Ebay and had no idea what I was gonna do with them but, couldn't pass up a $5 auction. :oops: So, after may hours searching for tutes and looking at pics of everyone elses I hit the studio, bound and determined to do this. It is very much a work-in-progress and I really like the look and ease of this particular "technique" so I can see more in the future. However, the starting squares will be a bit bigger! Like I said, I started with 4" squares and had a pretty good light/dark pattern going. The 3 1/2" template that kept being mentioned was way to big and overlapped by quite a bit so I scaled it down to 2 1/2" after a few other attempts to find what would work. I stayed with the 3/4" markings that had also been mentioned for lining it up. Although I do think a 3" template would have cut it very close, maybe I should've went with 2 3/4"..? Anywho, so far what I did is working and I can't wait to get it finished. So thanks a ton everyone, your posts were very valuable!!

What's done so far
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162147[/ATTACH]

What I started with. 41" x 37.5" with the 3" border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162148[/ATTACH]

Let the fun begin!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162149[/ATTACH]

quiltgrammyt2 01-17-2011 03:19 AM

Nice job!!
Another one to add to my "to do"list :roll:
Thank you for sharing the steps for making this quilt :thumbup:

PegD 01-17-2011 03:30 AM

Very pretty. Also on my to-do list.

PJisChaos 01-17-2011 03:35 AM

Another thing I have learned with this one is that it's a perfect way to get rid of ugly fabric! Some of the squares in the bundle I got were just really ugly and this seems to be pretty-ing them up a bit. LoL!

Yarn or Fabric 01-17-2011 04:10 AM

I started a few twisters yesterday too!
Yours is looking good - it looks like we think alike - I only cut 4 rows, then sewed and was going to move on to the next ones. I didn't want them to get mixed up lol.

It seems to take awhile but it is cool.
Yours is looking fabulous!

wolph33 01-17-2011 04:41 AM

cool,I love the twister

Connie in CO 01-17-2011 04:44 AM

I think it's so much fun doing those twisters.

raptureready 01-17-2011 06:09 AM

I have a question. Do you sew all the block together and then mark and cut them?

Yarn or Fabric 01-17-2011 06:16 AM

You sew them together and then you cut them apart. I didn't mark them - I rotary cut mine :)

I'm going back to the craft room in just a few minutes to work on my table runners :)

happymrs 01-17-2011 06:26 AM

Looks great! For future reference, I did a xmas wreath one, with 5in blocks, & the template size they showed us on here. Then I used the leftover squares, squared to 2.5, & did a mini wreath. What I did was scale down in half, all the measurements, since my little blocks were half the size of the big ones, & mine came out great. Need to post pics of both soon, & i will try & do that. Love playing with this template. Made my own out of template plastic & it works great too. I still have the squares from the first charm pack one I did, to play with this template, so am going to do a mini with it also...