Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   August Colorblock Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/august-colorblock-quilt-t316324.html)

cashs_mom 09-07-2021 07:22 PM

That's so pretty! You have the most amazing color sense. You're fabric choices are always fresh and interesting.

goldsberry921 09-08-2021 02:47 AM

Ohhhh that's really nice!!! Great job!!!

QuiltBaer 09-08-2021 03:46 AM

Your quilt is perfect! I love the sashing fabric around your blocks - it just glows. And your quilting is very nice too.

zennia 09-08-2021 05:52 AM

Real pretty quilt.

cherrybsixty 09-09-2021 03:36 PM

I always love your work and really envying this piece. Great as always

cherryb

materialworld 09-09-2021 08:22 PM

Ooh, I like this quilt. Nice work!

juliasb 09-10-2021 04:28 AM

I love it !! So pretty and I love the pattern you used. The quilting is so soft. Goes well with this soft looking quilt.

Darcyshannon 09-11-2021 01:26 AM

This looks like a great quilt to help stash bust. Adorable.

How did you get the striped fabric to line up so perfectly?

rryder 09-19-2021 02:40 AM

Hi all, thanks for all your kind comments. I’ve been out of commission since Sept. 8 when I launched off my horse and apparently did a fabulous imitation of a human cannonball. Ended up with 5 fractures in my pelvis, one in my right hip and a small one on the wing of one of my lumbar vertebra. I’ve been in a rehab facility for the past few days getting PT and OT (3+hours each day] and that has speeded up recovery. Will be going home on Wed or Thurs. Meanwhile, I’m already feeling much better and hope to be able to get back into my studio soon after I get home.

DarcyShannon asked how did I get the stripes to line up. The stripe fabric is very busy, but there is a repeat so I was able to find places where the repeats were similar and splice the fabric together. This worked pretty well as long as I was careful about cutting direction when cutting the sashing strips. I cut the strips to the width I needed for the sashing and then it was a bit of trial and error and splicing within the strips to get the stripes placed where I wanted them. My design wall really came in handy for this as I was able to lay the quilt blocks out and then experiment with the sashing placement to see how it was looking as I spliced it together. I had to the same with the binding as I didn’t have enough fabric left to do the entire binding in the striped fabric, so after I quilted the quilt and squared it up I pinned it back up onto the design wall and pinned my binding strips along it to help me decide where to cut and splice other fabrics in to get the length needed and to avoid any seams at the corners.

Hope that answers your question.

Rob

toogie 09-19-2021 05:05 AM

Your quilt is beautiful! You can never go wrong with stars. I would like to play in your stash, such pretty fabrics. Is the outer border a mint or aqua? I can tell you were having fun with your quilting, with all the various and unique designs within the feathers. I would love to play on a long arm in a frame! A lady in my group made an aqua Star quilt and small blocks in the square like yours and i always thought it was so pretty too. …I hope you recover well from your quick trip into obit! I don’t ride horses anymore but did when I was younger.