Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Autumn Eyes - bear applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/autumn-eyes-bear-applique-t147305.html)

debbieumphress 08-24-2011 08:44 PM

Dunster, as usualy very stunning. I love the bear and hope you share the others with us soon too.

kim_s 08-24-2011 08:45 PM

Oh my gosh this is so awesome! Really incredible!!!!

Scakes 08-24-2011 08:47 PM

Beautiful! :lol: :lol: :lol:

QM 08-24-2011 08:48 PM

Amazing!

lue 08-24-2011 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I just finished 'Autumn Eyes', the bear applique from Bigfork Bay Cotton Co. This is my first raw edge applique, and I enjoyed making it. I was actually surprised at how quickly the applique part went together, once the pieces were all prepared. I've started cutting out Summer Serenity, the moose, so the bear will soon have some company. I did the quilting on my longarm. It's somewhere around 32 x31".

Did you use fabrics from a kit or did you select your own fabrics? It's beautiful!

k3n 08-24-2011 10:57 PM

He is gorgeous, you did a great job. :-D

Re the fusing thing with the Steam a Seam - this may seem like I'm stating the bloomin' obvious but you did use a good shot of steam, didn't you? I used to use Heat n Bond which doesn't need steam and when I switched to Steam a Seam Lite, I thought it wasn't fusing as well as it should then it clicked that it was called 'STEAM a Seam', not 'DRY a Seam' doh! (of course, I didn't read the instructions!)

Now I have no problems with it at all - I used it on the teeny tiny pointy pieces on the mandala I'm working on and they stuck fine. I put a large piece of baking parchment over it and give it a good shooshh by pressing the extra steam button on my iron. :-D

Sibi 08-24-2011 11:10 PM

Spectacular!!

dunster 08-25-2011 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
He is gorgeous, you did a great job. :-D

Re the fusing thing with the Steam a Seam - this may seem like I'm stating the bloomin' obvious but you did use a good shot of steam, didn't you? I used to use Heat n Bond which doesn't need steam and when I switched to Steam a Seam Lite, I thought it wasn't fusing as well as it should then it clicked that it was called 'STEAM a Seam', not 'DRY a Seam' doh! (of course, I didn't read the instructions!)

Now I have no problems with it at all - I used it on the teeny tiny pointy pieces on the mandala I'm working on and they stuck fine. I put a large piece of baking parchment over it and give it a good shooshh by pressing the extra steam button on my iron. :-D

I fused part of the bear at the class, using someone else's iron, and I really don't remember whether it was emitting steam. I know I handled the pieces quite a bit during cutting and placing them, and repositioned some of them after they were stuck down. Thanks for the tip, and I'll be sure that I'm using plenty of steam when I do the moose.

dunster 08-25-2011 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by lue

Did you use fabrics from a kit or did you select your own fabrics? It's beautiful!

I used batiks from my stash.

Central Ohio Quilter 08-25-2011 06:12 AM

Just amazing! Great work!