Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Baby dolls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/baby-dolls-t118609.html)

Katia 04-24-2011 10:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I decided to make a soft baby doll for my grand daughters first birthday and found this pattern. I used to make dolls a lot when my girls were young and always loved it so this was a fun break from the usual.

When planning to make the doll my husband told me he needed a baby gift for a coworker and could I make two. Sure, make two is not that much more then making one and these are pretty simple. So I made two. Well, I was putting the head on the boy doll and my husband realized that he forgot to tell me that his coworker might, maybe, possibly prefer a baby doll of color. We were not sure what to do, so I told him to be honest and ask her. So he did and she told him that since she is actually islander and would not care, but her husband is black and his family might care.

So I made another. Hubby was even kind enough to pick up the fabric I needed for the right head. He gave it to her the other night at work and she was so excited she was squealing and jumping up and down. She told him yesterday that her inlaw's loved it too and they even named it Baby Roger. I guess the new baby has little twin cousins and they can not say his name, which is Elijah, so they call him Roger. So cute. It is always nice when you hear that a gift is loved and appreciated.

Now I just hope my own grand daughter likes her pink baby.

QuiltDraggon 04-24-2011 10:22 PM

Those are so cute! Anyone would love to receive one.

Sandee 04-24-2011 10:38 PM

Those dolls are REALLY CUTE!! Do you have the name of pattern or where to get it?

BETTY62 04-24-2011 10:40 PM

They are just the cutest things. Who wouldn't love to have one.

craftybear 04-24-2011 10:58 PM

love the dolls, did you make the dolls a quilt?

Katia 04-24-2011 10:59 PM

The pattern is called Minkee Babee. I found it on ClothDollPatterns.com. Vicki Riley is the designer. They are very similar to the dolls I used to make so many years ago. I did change then up a tiny bit. I am not to happy with the eyes. I think they would be cuter with little button eyes, or more expressive eyes, but since they are for little ones, I guess the embroidery eyes are better and safer. The pattern also has different hat ideas.

My husband said that lots of people at his work think I should make them to sell, and I would love that, but have no idea if such a thing would sell anymore. Or what to charge. It is so hard to compete with Walmart anymore. I used to make and sell dolls and did pretty good, but that was years ago. I have two file cabinets full of patterns I could make so I could do a big variety. Oh well, something to think about.

Murphy 04-24-2011 11:22 PM

They are so cute and make a lovely doll family. Nice work.

craftybear 04-24-2011 11:23 PM

Yes, you should make and sell dolls along with a baby quilt

Have fun!

Originally Posted by Katia
The pattern is called Minkee Babee. I found it on ClothDollPatterns.com. Vicki Riley is the designer. They are very similar to the dolls I used to make so many years ago. I did change then up a tiny bit. I am not to happy with the eyes. I think they would be cuter with little button eyes, or more expressive eyes, but since they are for little ones, I guess the embroidery eyes are better and safer. The pattern also has different hat ideas.

My husband said that lots of people at his work think I should make them to sell, and I would love that, but have no idea if such a thing would sell anymore. Or what to charge. It is so hard to compete with Walmart anymore. I used to make and sell dolls and did pretty good, but that was years ago. I have two file cabinets full of patterns I could make so I could do a big variety. Oh well, something to think about.

earthwalker 04-24-2011 11:47 PM

They are gorgeous...and the faces are really, really sweet. I think people would definitely buy them...the quality would be way better than anything mass produced. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Painiacs 04-25-2011 01:41 AM

Very cute! Maybe make with2 quilts? 1 for doll1 for child??