Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   bag for women having breast cancer surgery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/bag-women-having-breast-cancer-surgery-t156844.html)

wordpaintervs 09-29-2011 02:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I am making and modeling a picture of a potential bag for a breast cancer patient. I found the pattern on the internet. From what I read, many women here and abroad after having breast removals are sent home with drai age tubes and a pin bottle (s) the next day, because of insurance issues. I hear they are given a pillowcase or something to carry it all in. I made this sample quilted, using fabric and batting I had on hand and will make a copy of the pattern plus take the bag to the american cancer society so they have a real life example of how it would look worn shoulder strap or across chest, depending on how you 'tie' the strap into the loop on the purse. It s super simple to make. If any out there want the pattern, please send me a pm and I will send my address pattern. Please enclose a self address stamped envelope with your address to assist in the process of mailing the copies out. I won't charge for making copies. Let me now if you are interested.

clynns 09-29-2011 03:16 PM

My youngest daughter is a breast cancer survivor. She had a lumpectomy at age 25. She is healthy now and has just presented me with my 8th grandchild Naomi 9 weeks ago. Although she didn't have drainage tubes, I can see the need for something like this. Would it be possible to make them about 3/4 as long? I remember her being so weak, that she could barely walk. Chemo really kicked her butt. I think what your doing for the survivors is wonderful, thoughtful and considerate. God Bless

Mrs B 09-29-2011 03:30 PM

I have a pattern for these bags if anyone wants a copy. A newsletter that I receive has been asking for sewers to make them to be distributed in Australia and NZ. If you want a copy please PM me with your home email address and I will send you a copy via email.

schaffers 09-29-2011 03:39 PM

This bag is nice, but it seems soo big. My aunt had a double mastectomy in April and her drainage tubes and a bottle. The bottles were about 3 x 4 inches. She was given bags that are about 6 X 8 inches with a neck strap like yours. She used them when she took a shower.

QUILTNMO 09-29-2011 03:51 PM

what a nice bag our bee makes the breast pillows

wordpaintervs 09-29-2011 05:26 PM

thanks for all the replies. I am sure the bags can be adjusted in size. The size it is, I'm thinking would be good to put a few purse things in, when one had to go somewhere without lugging a purse along as well.... like a combo bottle thing perhaps. It seemed a little long to me as well, but I just followed the pattern from the internet. Some really good ideas made here. Thanks a million.

Vickey Stamps

BETTY62 09-29-2011 09:42 PM

What a nice thing to do. Bless you.

ladybug45 09-30-2011 03:23 AM

When I had my breast removed the Dr. suggested using a fannypack. It worked really well.