Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Balcony Blossoms - a quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/balcony-blossoms-quilt-top-t185300.html)

QM 04-08-2012 10:20 PM

I like that a lot. There are 2 ways that I see, however, to do it without set in seams. One is to topstitch the flower centers in place after the rest is done. The other is to make the block in 2 halves, with half of the center (plus seam allowance, of course) in each half. I would have made it exactly as you did, if I had thought of it.

Very good job!!!!!!

rozeebythesea 04-09-2012 01:04 AM

Very special quilt. Thanks for sharing with all of us!

damaquilts 04-09-2012 06:31 AM

Love the pattern. It seems you have just about every geometric shape covered.

MimiBug123 04-09-2012 08:20 AM

I love your colors and the work, as well as the quilt, is beautiful. Great job!

JanieH 04-09-2012 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chicca (Post 5123126)
You have created a beautiful quilt! I was just trying to look at all of your fabrics and individual shapes and suddenly I am looking at a rising circles. It is a fabulous effect. Thanks for sharing.

I also love the effect you created! Fabulous quilt!

costumegirl 04-09-2012 12:20 PM

You've done a terrific job!! I like the easy flow of colours and the movement of the design!

CeeBee 04-09-2012 03:27 PM

The Greek Cross block CAN be paper pieced, with 4 segments, which would split the green points in half and the center gold on-point square into 4 parts. If you want to draft the "quarter segment" (for an 8" finished block) just draw a 4" square, and in the upper left mark a dot at 1-1/2" from the corner in both directions (to the right and down) and then draw a (diagonal) line connecting the two dots. From the bottom right corner mark a dot 2-1/2" from the corner in both directions (to the left and up) and then draw a (diagonal) line connecting the dots. Now draw 2 more diagonal lines to connect the dots in the other directions to form the "petals". Add 1/4" seam allowances around the 4" box for your pattern...Make FOUR segments for each "Greek Cross" and join for an 8" finished block. For the outside edges with the background and long triangle, draw a box 4" x 8". On one long 8" side put a dot at 2-1/2" down and 2-1/2" up, so there is a 3" area in the center. Now put a dot at the center of the other side (at 4") connect the dots for the elongated triangle. (then add 1/4" seam allowances around the box for 4-1/2" x 8-1/2" UNfinished pattern).

maryellen2u 04-09-2012 06:55 PM

So beautiful. When you say there is no commercial pattern do you mean that you designed this yourself? Are you going to share your design or come up with a way so the rest of us can buy it and copy you? You know copying is the highest form of flattery! I love your design. It is very interesting but restful. Just lovely.

Raine 04-09-2012 08:28 PM

JenniePenny, you did a wonderful job. I also found a 1930 pattern that I had to replicate, and enjoyed do it even though it was all 1 1/2 squares. Its the satisfaction of craftmanship and trying something that is different the the current norm. I applaud your effort and thanks so much for showing this

audsgirl 04-09-2012 09:10 PM

What a lovely quilt! I love the effect of curved piecing using straight seams. Very nicely done.