Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Bargello Fabric Choices (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/bargello-fabric-choices-t36327.html)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-08-2010 09:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I'm making a bargello quilt. I've gotten so far as buying fabric and cutting strips. Before I sew things together and cut the sections, I'm seeking advice on the fabric.

Does this look like it will work? What, if anything, would you change? Speak right up!

Bargello fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16328[/ATTACH]

dkabasketlady 02-08-2010 09:33 AM

Maybe you could add another color with the gold in it between white and gold on each side and another fabric with some pink and white on other side of white. Hope this makes sense, just think it will blend better,IMO! Have fun making your quilt and can't wait to see pics.

Marjpf 02-08-2010 09:35 AM

[quote=dkabasketlady]Maybe you could add another color with the gold in it between white and gold on each side

I agree - the white just stands out a bit too much for my taste.

KBunn 02-08-2010 09:37 AM

I agree with everyone....the whit on gold just stands out too much. I would come closer to blending them in that section and then have fun with it!!

Candace 02-08-2010 09:38 AM

The lightest purple with the dark purple leaves/flowers really jumps out at me. I would maybe replace that one.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-08-2010 09:40 AM

My daughter thinks I should get rid of the yellow/gold all together. Instead of having two whites together, she says I should fade from dark to white and then start with the other dark.

BellaBoo 02-08-2010 10:07 AM

The gold sided with the whites will make a distinct design in the bargello. I would suggest you snip tiny pieces from each fabric and make a mock up on paper how the bargello pattern will look with this arrangement. Or use colored pencils on graph paper.

Barb_MO 02-08-2010 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
The lightest purple with the dark purple leaves/flowers really jumps out at me. I would maybe replace that one.

How can you all see the details of the fabric? Not being able to download and get a larger inmage to look at, they all look like solids to me.

Rachelcb80 02-08-2010 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure what your pattern calls for as far as colors go but I personally don't like the white and yellow in there. They will create a striping effect when you put the quilt together. But that may be what your pattern is calling for? I'm working on a bargello right now as well. My pattern calls for 20 different fabrics from 2 coordinating color groups varied from light to dark. I would have gone with blue and green because I think they're the easiest to put together and have look good in a graduated color scheme but this is for my mom and she doesn't like green so I went with pink and purple (which I personally like a lot, I just don't find it as easy to set up like it's supposed to). I agonized a couple days over the placement of fabrics and over a couple that I ended up not feeling like they went well. One thing that helped me a lot as far as value goes, I took a picture of the fabrics laid out together in black and white. It's way easier to see which color is darker or lighter when they're all in grey.

Here's a picture of one of my strip sets. I'm not 100% happy with it but I'm hoping once I get the quilt started the fabrics will blend together better than I think they do now.

Good luck on your quilt and I'll be looking for pictures of a finished product!

Candace 02-08-2010 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO

Originally Posted by Candace

How can you all see the details of the fabric? Not being able to download and get a larger inmage to look at, they all look like solids to me.

I can see the patterns in the fabric pretty easily, but I've got a 15" clear monitor.