Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Batik Quilt & Quilted Rug Finished in time for Christmas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/batik-quilt-quilted-rug-finished-time-christmas-t173210.html)

Christine27 12-26-2011 07:22 AM

Batik Quilt & Quilted Rug Finished in time for Christmas

7 Attachment(s)
The first quilt uses the pattern "Are We There Yet" with about 14 fat quarters. My sister-in-law did all of the cutting and piecing for me. I did the quilting and binding (by machine). We gave it to my mom on Christmas Eve. Blue is her favorite color. She financed the quilting machine and frame, so she gets as many quilts as she wants!

The next picture is the finished product of a Betty Cotton (quilt as you go) rug that I started in a class last February or March. It has been sitting around for months, only needing trimming and binding. I finally finished it. The finishing wasn't nearly as demanding as the rest of the rug. I think I left it sitting for so long because I resented a few details of the class. The teacher had us pin EVERYTHING, through at least 6 layers of fabric and two layers of binding. I had to get special, extra strong, sharp, fine pins that turned out to be painful and difficult to grip. I'm only 39 years old, but after that one day class, I had pain, numbness and tingling in my fingertips for about 4 weeks. I am a music teacher and pianist, so there is no way I'll ever put my hands through that torture again! (Sorry, fans of Betty Cotton.) I think the part I resented most was that at the END of class, the teacher mentioned that some people prefer to use soluble fabric glue instead of pinning. Blech! I am never making another one of these again!

The next quilt is a minky blanket made by my sis-in-law. I only helped with the binding. In the last month or so, as she debated what to make for gifts, whenever she'd suggest giving this one, I would say, "No! You want to keep that one!" On Christmas Eve, she gave it to me! I already fell asleep under it last night. :) When my little niece comes for a sleepover, which she does frequently on the weekends, she will stay night and warm and snuggly under this cuddly blankie!

Last is the quilt that started it all. I had bought quilt magazines for years, but when I saw this quilt top in a Joann's ad, I finally had to make one for myself. It's been sitting around, waiting to get quilted, for about 3-4 years. It has been washed as just a quilt top, so the seams were fraying. After my mom bought the quilt frame & machine, I decided that this quilt would be a good one to practice different designs. I used rulers for straight lines and continuous curves and I quilted freehand. My mom's favorites are the butterflies and the piano! There's only one piano on it, so it feels like an I Spy puzzle to find it! The quilt now brightens my sewing chair.

Thanks for looking!

joyful1 12-26-2011 07:32 AM

Beautiful quilts and quilting.

Wanabee Quiltin 12-26-2011 07:40 AM

All are lovely. Your fmq is great. Keep at it. Btw, the rug is great.

LindaM 12-26-2011 07:46 AM

Nice work! Love the piano - and the notes & treble clef :) LOVE the batik 'are we there yet' quilt!

jgriinke 12-26-2011 07:57 AM

I totally understand about not being a Betty Cotton fan. I made one table runner and gave it to my sister. After I completed the runner - I GAVE the pattern away! No more for me either. :thumbdown: I did lots of grumbling while making that runner. My quilting friends were happy when I finished it! I worked on it at a retreat.
Your items are wonderful!

DianneK 12-26-2011 07:59 AM

Glad you are enjoying your quilting machine!! All very nice projects

katier825 12-26-2011 08:03 AM

Very nice! I love the "Are we there yet" pattern. Can you tell me who makes it? Was it in a book? I can't find it online.

Maria C 12-26-2011 11:02 AM

They are great and I love the stories of how they came about and their purpose. I too love the first one in blue a lot. Glad you persevered with all the creations.

Tartan 12-26-2011 11:45 AM

I love your blue mat but there is not way I'd be letting anyone walk on it after all that work. I think I'd use it for a tablerunner or on my bedroom dresser or for a foot of the bed scarf. Your quilts are beautiful and so is your quilting. Good job!

jojosnana 12-26-2011 12:02 PM

What a wonderful bunch of ufos.