Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   To Batt or Not to Batt, That Is The Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/batt-not-batt-question-t204270.html)

pollyjvan9 10-26-2012 05:20 AM

To Batt or Not to Batt, That Is The Question

1 Attachment(s)
Working on another baby quilt. I have always added batting to any quilt, but am thinking about not putting any in this quilt. It is backed with white Minkee and has the Minkee Border on the front. The middle is a decorator fabric I fell in love with, but I am afraid it will be heavy with batting. But maybe it will look just too flat without any. What do you all think?

Petey 10-26-2012 05:26 AM

Love the fabric - I think it is fine to not put batting

Quiltngolfer 10-26-2012 05:31 AM

I wonder the same thing. I have a quilt I am debating on using batting with. I am afraid the quilt will be too limp without batting. I will await the advise of the seasoned quilters.

ruthrings 10-26-2012 05:32 AM

I thought Minkee almost always substituted for batting, especially for a baby. I vote no batting.

dcquilter 10-26-2012 05:39 AM

Well, I will tell you my experience, although I didn't use minkee, so that might make a difference. I made an adorable pieced flannel top, used fleece for the back, and no batting. When I quilted it, it distorted the top so bad, it looked awful, it was so bad I never finished it. I thought it was the fleece but a friend told me if I had used batting it would have been fine.
So I don't know, but it was very frustrating. Hopefully minkee won't do that. Good luck - it's very cute!

dogsgod 10-26-2012 05:47 AM

I believe "summer" quilts used a flannel as the batting layer, might be enough to give it some body without too much weight

Kitsapquilter 10-26-2012 05:57 AM

I made a baby quilt for my grandson and only used fleece with no batting. But I tied it and did not quilt it! Made one for a grandaughter that I quilted. I am not very talented when it comes to quilting so it did not turn out as nice but it worked. I have never used minkee. But I am thinking you probably don't need batting. Just baste it closely or maybe consider tying it.

Diane007 10-26-2012 06:24 AM

you might want to add batting around the animals to make them more 3-D

pollyjvan9 10-26-2012 07:14 AM

UPDATE to BATT or NO BATT...

After reading the first 4 or 5 answers to question about batting or no batting I decided to go with the NO BATTING. Unfortunately, I should have gone the other way. I expected the Minkee to strech so I pinned a whole lot, even basted (which I never do) and I still ended up with a mess. I am not going to post a picture of this, it is just too distressing, but I am going to take it completely and start over because this fabric was all so expensive. BTW I had it almost finished before I decided I had a disaster on my hands. Also, I ignored just about my only rule...always start quilting in the middle and work out.

Sierra 10-26-2012 07:23 AM

When I use a thick, soft back (minki?) I don't add any batting. It simply is not necessary. One of my DGD's first quilts was made this way. She laid out the design she wanted and sewed it on to the fleece backing. Worked great!