Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Bear Claw -severe frustration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/bear-claw-severe-frustration-t153343.html)

kaykid815 09-16-2011 05:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I had 11 blocks made, then finished up the last 9 on my daughter's machine while visiting her. I'm learning that one machine's 1/4" seam is not the same as on another. I am TRYING to square the blocks, but I have 9 blocks that are as much as 1/2" smaller than the other 11! I can't square to the smallest block or I'll lose the points on the triangles of the big blocks. I don't have enough fabric to re-make the 9 small blocks (or enough patience!) From a distance, the lay-out looks good, but I'm afraid this will be a crooked mess. I'm taking one block apart to see if I can make the seams smaller on the sashing, and "fudge" the difference. Any ideas?

Looks good when laid out...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]257336[/ATTACH]

Yikes - blocks are two different sizes!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]257337[/ATTACH]

loves_2_quilt 09-16-2011 06:02 AM

I like it. I understand the frustration, I learned the hard way too.

Jingle 09-16-2011 06:03 AM

I would take the nine blocks apart and sew them on your machine. A lot of time and work but. you will be happier with it. It is beautiful and such good fabric choices.

Grama Lehr 09-16-2011 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle
I would take the nine blocks apart and sew them on your machine. A lot of time and work but. you will be happier with it. It is beautiful and such good fabric choices.

I agree, if you know there is a problem, FIX IT NOW!! You will never be happy, and your eye will always be looking at the flaw. It's better to fix nine blocks, than put the quilt on the shelf beacause it's just not right.
This comes from my own experience. . . . :oops:

sandpat 09-16-2011 06:12 AM

I would disassemble and sew them on the same machine...now if you just HAVE to go ahead NOW.....then you can block them. Choose either the "larger" or the "smaller"...I'm not sure which would be the best...but saturate with starch and pin to the correct size...let dry.

Its beautiful and will be when you are done.

Izy 09-16-2011 06:14 AM

Could you add a small sashing to the 9 that are undersized and do an alternative layout to make it look as if you intended it being that way? It would break my heart to have to unpick all that beautiful work!

Good luck and let us know how you get on it! This will be a real beauty when you finish it :wink: :thumbup: :D

Sewfine 09-16-2011 06:21 AM

Love the bear claw and the fabric.

babyfireo4 09-16-2011 06:23 AM

You could add the sashing to each block, like a frame, and square them like that and alternate the colors so it looks like a checkerboard in the framing throughout, hope I said that right lol

bj 09-16-2011 06:23 AM

That is so frustrating! You could try framing the blocks and make the framing on the smaller blocks just a little wider so they end up the same size as the larger blocks. (BTW...did you notice that one of the bear claws in the bottom row of blocks has a piece that is facing wrong?) I really like your fabrics. Simply elegant!

leatheflea 09-16-2011 06:26 AM

If you dont want to take them all apart, you could add a border to all the blocks making them all bigger than you want and then square them up. Any color border would work, or you could go with different color borders. Then you could do the sashing!