Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Beautiful batiks! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/beautiful-batiks-t140807.html)

JanTx 07-27-2011 10:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Fabric: Pink Lemonade Bali Pop by Hoffman - both borders are yardage from that line

Pattern: Jelly Donuts from House of Quilts

Backing and quilting - undecided.

I try not to post a pic until I'm completely through since I used to feel DONE when I was at this stage, but then ended up with a pile of UFOs. Now I have 2 UFOs - not the 15 or so I had collected earlier and I just can't wait to show ya'll how this turned out! (Remember I've been quilting just about a year so if my 15 UFOs didn't impress you just give me some time.)

I was able to purchase this luscious fabric because two ladies that a friend and I agreed to coach through the making of a quilt gave us each cash as a "thank you". We went STRAIGHT to the quilt shop and were lucky we caught no red lights in between!

The pattern: does it make sense to anyone to be told to cut SIX 2 1/2 inch strips WOF for the inner border, but to cut FOUR 6 1/2 inch strips WOF for the outer border and four 2 1/2 inch strips WOF for the binding? Really? Fortunately I had enough fabric to cut SIX strips of each of those. How about calling a cut block a "half block" when it was just ALMOST cut in half? To me "half" is a fraction not a general term. Or saying that I would need 38 main blocks and 6 half blocks when the instructions told you over and over you were making 40 main blocks. (You really needed 32 main blocks, 6 partial blocks, and you ended up with 2 main blocks left over.) ANYWAY... it's beautiful and it's a great way to show off delicious fabrics.

I was laying this out on my "design bed" and though I originally intended to smooth it into place I found that I was petting the poor thing. Yes, it feels good! :)

Cyn 07-27-2011 10:20 PM

I love it!

Jim's Gem 07-27-2011 10:24 PM

It is beautiful!!!

Sounds like the directions were not well written. I have discovered it pays to read thru the directions before even making the first cut!!!!!

JanTx 07-27-2011 10:30 PM

What bothers me the most is this pattern is definately beginner friendly. IF the directions made more sense! It's a great way to use a jelly roll. I thought I knew what it meant, but spend more time reading and rereading and trying to figure out how to get what I knew was in my head to match what I was reading.

Jammin' Jane 07-27-2011 10:31 PM

OOOOhhhh, that's really pretty!
Love it!

charismah 07-27-2011 10:36 PM

It's really pretty! Great job!...I wish I could say I only had 2 UFO's.LOL ...someday!

lscho4jm 07-27-2011 11:25 PM

Oooh, love it!

craftybear 07-27-2011 11:34 PM

beautiful

alikat110 07-27-2011 11:35 PM

Beautiful

katier825 07-28-2011 01:00 AM

It came out gorgeous! It's a shame the pattern was so off.