Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Bisquit/Puff Quilt for grand daughter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/bisquit-puff-quilt-grand-daughter-t178478.html)

auntpiggylpn 02-08-2012 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cat2quilt (Post 4955528)
I don't know which clips you mean. I brought this as a kit but it was not puffy enough the way it was package so I used the thin material that is used to transfer dress or clothes patterns as the foundation so it was made in one piece and then I sewed the finished quilt to the backing. The best way to get it really puffy is not to over stuff. I washed it before I gave it away to be sure that it would launder well and I was very happy at how well it washed.
I did use little hair clips to keep the foundation material where it needed to be so it would not be caught up in the rows.

These are the clips that I am talking about. . . .

biscuitqueen 02-08-2012 09:05 PM

I love the colors.

earthwalker 02-08-2012 09:06 PM

Lucky girl!

stampinteresa 02-08-2012 09:44 PM

A dear friend gave me the pattern booklet for that and I like looking at it. One more for the "to do" list. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Teresa

sewbeadit 02-09-2012 02:52 AM

I love those quilts. I made one for each of my three daughters years ago and it took a lot of time and fabric and work, but just loved them when they were done. I made a pillow too and it looked nice after it was done. I like the colors you picked.

cat2quilt 02-09-2012 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by starshine (Post 4955537)
Very pretty. Do you quilt around the squares or tie the quilt? I've seen picture of some and thought they would make a nice lap quilt for nursing homes or someone in a wheel chair.

This is a square quilt that is 14 rows by 14 rows. I sewed 14 rows of blocks in 14 separted lines. I use material that is used to transfer dress patterns as the foundation because it was easy to mark into 3.5' squares. I sewed the 4" sqaures into the 3.5" block by pinching 1/4" of each block. First I sewed down and then across, once again pinching 1/4". This left one side open. I gently stuffed this with filling and then closed the entire row, pinching 1/4" to make a 3.5" square. I learned this from Kaye Wood.

cat2quilt 02-09-2012 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 4956430)
These are the clips that I am talking about. . . .

I definitely would consider these, I didn't know they existed. Thanks so much. Have you used them?

Harmony 02-09-2012 07:22 AM

Looks so soft a cuddly! Makes me want to crawl under it and take a nap!

cat2quilt 02-09-2012 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit (Post 4957423)
I love those quilts. I made one for each of my three daughters years ago and it took a lot of time and fabric and work, but just loved them when they were done. I made a pillow too and it looked nice after it was done. I like the colors you picked.

The method I used was very quick. The prepartion was tricky but once I started I was able to finish two to three rows a day. The trickiest part was sewing the foundation to the backing. I didn't mark the backing because I don't have very good eyesight and I would have had a hard time seeing the marked lines. It was easier for me to use a foundation and then sew the finished quilt to the backing.

annthreecats 02-09-2012 11:32 AM

That is really cute. Love the colors in your quilt.