Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Black and White Border Suggestions Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/black-white-border-suggestions-please-t110002.html)

redbugsullivan 03-23-2011 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a wedding quilt top for my niece that truly needs to be finished! I'm not thrilled with the thought of long sashing borders to increase the size. It deserves a better border, simple enough to ensure the center shines.

I'd LOVE your suggestions!

Quilt Shop Hop 2009 squares
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173763[/ATTACH]

cowpie2 03-23-2011 07:38 AM

How about piano keys using the fabrics from the blocks? That way you could add significant size (longer keys) without detracting from the main part of the blocks.

irishrose 03-23-2011 07:39 AM

How about just a wide binding in one of the black and white prints. You're right, it doesn't need anything else.

redbugsullivan 03-23-2011 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by cowpie2
How about piano keys using the fabrics from the blocks? That way you could add significant size (longer keys) without detracting from the main part of the blocks.

I have little of the fabric left! It was a fabric gift from my MIL. I do have other subtle blacks and white though.

redbugsullivan 03-23-2011 07:43 AM

I need about 8" on each side if that helps.

Vickymomof6 03-23-2011 07:53 AM

Black and white piano keys would look really nice.

Vicky

Janquiltz 03-23-2011 08:07 AM

Solid White inner border, black and white print middle border, and a b/w half square triangle outer border. HST would compliment the inside blocks because most of the blocks can be made w/HST. Flying geese might work, as would simple squares set on point. I would use three borders to get the width I needed on each side, so it wouldn't look like I put huge borders on the quilt to make it the size I needed. If you don't have enough of the fabric used in the quilt to do the borders, you could always mix in other b/w fabrics that have similar designs.

MrsM 03-23-2011 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan
This is a wedding quilt top for my niece that truly needs to be finished! I'm not thrilled with the thought of long sashing borders to increase the size. It deserves a better border, simple enough to ensure the center shines.

I'd LOVE your suggestions!

I think Red!

Mariposa 03-23-2011 08:23 AM

I vote for a piano keys border~

kathy 03-23-2011 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Janquiltz
Solid White inner border, black and white print middle border, and a b/w half square triangle outer border. HST would compliment the inside blocks because most of the blocks can be made w/HST. Flying geese might work, as would simple squares set on point. I would use three borders to get the width I needed on each side, so it wouldn't look like I put huge borders on the quilt to make it the size I needed. If you don't have enough of the fabric used in the quilt to do the borders, you could always mix in other b/w fabrics that have similar designs.

I agree with Jan, sounds good