Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Book/Reading pillow (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/book-reading-pillow-t3855.html)

OnTheGo 01-02-2008 02:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the reading pillow I made for my grandson from half of a Thrift shop sweater of Ramie cotton. Remember, my grandkitty got a sleeping pad from the other half. Now, what should I do with the sleeves...and 4 leather buttons? Hmmmmmmmm

reading pillow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5486[/ATTACH]

reading pillow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5495[/ATTACH]

Diamonds 01-02-2008 02:19 PM

That is really neat :thumbup:

Dawn Hendrix 01-02-2008 02:20 PM

To cute!!! Great Idea.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 01-02-2008 02:26 PM

That's a cute and different one!!
Great work!
Leather buttons, huh???...sound like good noses for some little stuffed animals!!?? :) You could even use the sleeves for the animals.
Maybe even sorta follow the directions for a sock monkey with the sleeves, as it takes two socks for one. Start by sewing one end shut on both sleeves to make the "sock". ???
or there is the elephant....

OnTheGo 01-02-2008 02:50 PM

Miranda, the stuffed animal sounds good. I was thinking house slippers...., but maybe an animal that doesn't eat. HA We're feeding everything in the forest, I think. I had been putting out shelled corn for the squirrels, although they prefer the black oil sunflower seeds that I give the birds. Anyway, the corn disappears every night. I had seen deer tracks, but hadn't seen the deer until yesterday before dark. They were right outside my window. I think it's the same 3 my husband is feeding behind the barn.

There are 2 of the prettiest skunks that have been coming into the barn. One is more white than black, but now we have to be extra careful....don't want to get sprayed by a skunk!

Miranda, where have you been? Missed you.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 01-02-2008 02:56 PM

Sounds like you need one of the Game Cameras like my DH got to put up at his tree stand!! He hasn't been out to put the card back in it or new batteries for a while, but it is so fun! I think he paid $40 for it at WM. Maybe less. It has a sensor on it and takes pics when it "sees" movement!

I've not been on much lately. Just been busy. THe kids keep getting sick, and we've (DH and I) been catching it, too. Strep, bronchitis...we've also had our share of viruses, too. Hopefully the computer doesn't start catching it! lol!

Rebecca Chambley 01-02-2008 03:24 PM

That is the neatest, and cutest reading pillow. Is that your pattern? What did you use to hold the book in place? Did you use a pillow form, or just stuffing? Can you share your work of art?

OnTheGo 01-02-2008 04:31 PM

Hi Rebecca, It's so easy. I used a foam pillow..not too full, but you could use any kind. I just sewed the sweater to a plain peice of woven fabric and made it like a pillow case, closing both ends. I crocheted a chain and pulled it through 2 rows of the sweater knit at the top center of pillow and positioned them diagonally. Then I pulled each end through 2 rows of the sweater knit at the bottom and tied a knot and tied a glass bead on the end. The two bookmarks are made from one piece of 4 ply knitting yarn ( the same that I chained) that I ran through the same hole at the top and I tied a bead on each at the end to give it some weight. I had to ravel something I had started many years ago to get the small amt. of maroon yarn, so that's why it's so curly.

I saw one similar in a Betty Crocker catalog a few years ago. It was a square pillow and they used ribbons to hold the pages. I don't remember if it had a bookmark.

I ride with a pillow in my lap. It's like my riding desk. I need to make one that will hold my book open now.

OnTheGo 01-02-2008 04:33 PM

Oh...the yarn is stretchy so you can just move it about to read and lift it to turn the page.

Cathe 01-02-2008 04:55 PM

Very clever!