Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Boo's SBS (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/boos-sbs-t508.html)

Boo 01-27-2007 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ruth, this is the Eleanor way of doing it with the fusible interfacing. After you sew the interfacing on, you turn it, then use a blanket stitch. Let me see if I can find a closeup pic to scan.
Okay, this is part of label, but does show how I used a half feather stitch on my machine. Hope this better explains.

SBS detail
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38[/ATTACH]

pennyS 01-27-2007 12:03 PM

Boo,
Your quilt is absolutely beautiful. I have been quilting for a year now but feel intimidated when it comes to SBS. You have certainly inspired me to try.
Thanks for sharing.
penny

june6995 01-27-2007 01:13 PM

Penny, there is more than one way to do the applique. Boo did the one she likes best. I used a double sided interfacing. I ironed it on the back side of the "dolls" and then peeled off the back and pressed those in place. There are possibly others. Investigate and see what suits you.

I find the internet an intriguing place, however there are times when one word placed in the right location will make all the difference in finding what one is looking for. Like that Half Square Triangle block.

I would have done my SBS's differently, after I finished, but it was too late. My problem was that I got carried away and did not know when to stop making "dolls" Second chilhood coming on. Possibly I will make another one, in the future. Boo's quilt is Beautiful. Maybe she does not have any creativity (is that what she said) but she does have a good eye for color, and we won't let her agrue with us about that.

I also like the Script writing on her machine. Mine is 20 years old and I hope one day to get a newer one. Today I shot the wad and bought a new car. Not exactly what I had in mind to do this month, but mine was diagnosed as Terminal and the sooner I stopped driving, the safer I would be. I do want a new machine...and I wll get it. But not this month. .

Happy sewing and have a wonderful week-end all you quilters. June

pennyS 01-27-2007 01:32 PM

Thanks for the information June. I have not done any applique yet but after seeing SBS I thought I just might try. Let me ask you, what type of stitching did you do around your dolls or does the interfacing hold it permanently?
I just bought a Janome 6500 and absolutely love it, but while in a class recently I used a michine at the shop and it was a new Viking....NOW THAT WAS NICE.
Hopefully if I master my machine I will find a nice decorative stitch for SBS if needed.
Thanks again for the info.

Neva Jones 01-28-2007 05:28 AM

I made 3 of SBS quilts for DGDS 25 years they were a block I just love them I would like to make one for my self but every quilt I make some one see it and wonts it and you guest it I give it to them LOL Neva

Yvonne 01-29-2007 07:39 AM

Boo, Creativity comes in all forms. You may not have designed this pattern but you did pick it. Out of all the patterns in the world you chose this one. Good choice. Out of all the fabrics in the world, you chose very specific ones. Great choices. And of all the settings around you chose to follow the pattern. Well, that was another creative choice.

I used to say I wasn't creative but I could "steal" really good ideas. I've come to realize that what you do with those ideas is a type of creativity! Trust me :!: You are very creative!

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is "Nice Quilt!" It's beautiful and I'm sure your niece loves her SBS from her Auntie!

Neva Jones 01-29-2007 09:37 AM

Boo anyone that makes a quilt is creativity you can have a pattern but you pick farber and you put it where it gos now that is creativityNEVA

KATHY D 01-29-2007 05:46 PM

Boo, I just love your quilt. I have a sbs that I have been wanting to make. After seeing yours I am going to have to get it started. Great Job!

sandra lester 01-31-2007 08:37 AM

Boo, it is beautiful - the black really "dresses it up). My mother the master quilter!, 76, made one like this also and gave to me!!! I am so lucky.

:P

Boo 02-04-2007 11:31 AM

OMG! Sandra Lester! I love your avatar. We must be sisters in spirit, cause I can't turn on the shower until I have at least one cup of coffee in the morning. Nice meeting you and hope to chat with you someday soon.