Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Bordering on frustration! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/bordering-frustration-t62666.html)

aneternalpoet 09-02-2010 05:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally decided that instead of putting sashing between each of these 4 scrappy blocks, I would sew those together to make one full one.. However, I have 2 questions.. One, what do you think of adding more blocks using some of the same squares shown ( wont have enough of some of them to do the exact same blocks ), and adding new ones ( maybe green, different shade of blue, ect )..
And second, what ideas do you all have for borders on this project.. like my title says, I am bordering on frustration here! :roll:

sahm4605 09-02-2010 05:13 AM

I would go with a blue/green marble or batik for a boarder. I think that unless you want to make it bigger, i would leave it the way it is so far. I think that it looks great as it is. but that is just me

raptureready 09-02-2010 05:19 AM

I would use a narrow inner border of your choice color then incorporate some the the left over blocks into a wider border if you need it bigger. Or I might cut them into smaller peices and make a small replica of the large block for the corners. A lot depends on how big you want the final quilt to be.
It looks like it's going to be a beauty.

aneternalpoet 09-02-2010 05:20 AM

I need to make it a little larger - almost a full sized quilt top.. thats why I thought to add maybe a couple more blocks, plus borders.. I will have to try to come up with fabric for the borders out of my scraps, as that is about all I have left to work with.. Not able to purchase any fabric, due to many major heart surgery bills this last year.. I do like your idea to the color of the borders, though. thank you!

AlienQuilter 09-02-2010 06:38 AM

It's beautiful!

Do you have more of the white fabric?

I think it would look neat to do a wide white sashing, same width as the blocks and make a white border, same width as the blocks.

Then do piano keys border, same width or half-width of the blocks, making them long enough to make it the size you need.

JenniePenny 09-02-2010 06:47 AM

Do you have any orange or light peach? Maybe very thin (1.5" to finish at 1") narrow border to give it a 'frame'. Then a wide white border around the whole thing, then use some of your leftover blues, with extra greens and whites to make a final strippy or piano key border.

RedGarnet222 09-02-2010 06:51 AM

Karen,
I love the colors you are working with and this is going to be beautiful when you are finished. Reminds me of appatite jewels or a london blue topaz.

First I would finish off the design along the edges to finish the little block like what in in the center of your quilt. Eliminating the dark sections.

Then the white as a border, then perhaps a strip of tiny squares like the center block. If you think of each little block as a mini of the design, that would be perfect. It would be a design block a white and design and so on like a chain of daisys. Just a chain of them to go all around would be sweet. Then a white border. It would give some intrest to the borders and make it larger.
Then go for your dark borders.

aneternalpoet 09-02-2010 06:52 AM

the " white " fabric is actually a tone on tone sort of cream.. I am not sure how it would look with peach.. Actually, lol, not even sure I have anything in peach, since I never usually work with it ( not my fav color , wink , wink.. ).. I might take a gander at the piano key look though. I have some scraps in various emerald greens, and blues from the quilt, that might look kinda cool with cream in there.. thanks!

aneternalpoet 09-02-2010 06:55 AM

Garnet, I like the idea of the little blocks in the colors, after the cream inner border.. I think I have plenty of the darker blue ( tone on tone-ish ) that could be the outer ..

lauriejo 09-02-2010 06:58 AM

I love these colors, reminds me of the ocean. Maybe a border that would look like a sandy beach?